News Release: Comptroller Franchot Extends Tax Relief to Businesses Statewide in Wake of Tornadoes, Flash Floods

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

News Release Header updated

Comptroller Franchot Extends Tax Relief to Businesses Statewide in Wake of Tornadoes, Flash Floods

Remnants of Hurricane Ida caused extensive damage in jurisdictions throughout state

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (September 3, 2021) — Comptroller Franchot today extended the tax relief being offered to businesses impacted by severe storms on Wednesday that caused extensive damage in parts of Anne Arundel, Charles, and Montgomery counties, as well as other parts of Maryland. The extended due dates for a variety of tax and motor fuel payments for businesses and emergency responders now applies statewide.

“Although the tornado that hit Edgewater and Annapolis received most of the attention, it’s clear the remnants of Hurricane Ida left its mark in communities throughout Maryland, so we decided to give all businesses and emergency responders across the state more time to pay their monthly taxes,” Comptroller Franchot said.

The Comptroller’s Office is providing a waiver of interest and penalties for business taxpayers who are unable to meet the September filing deadlines for the following tax types so long as they report and pay the taxes due by the following dates:  

Tax Type                                   Due Date:                          Paid By:

Sales & Use                                 September 20                     October 20

Admission & Amusement           September 10                     October 10

Withholding                                September 15                     October 15

Alcohol (depending on type)       September 10, 15, 20, 25    October 10, 15, 20, 25

Maryland Motor Fuel Tax license holders in Maryland  are granted a waiver of interest and penalties to licensees who file and pay by October 31, 2021. Certain IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement) requirements are also temporarily waived for shippers and carriers of essential emergency relief supplies, or to those that are providing restoration of utilities to the affected area. 

Maryland businesses with questions about motor fuel extensions can call Chuck Ulm at 410-260-7278 or email For other tax-related questions, individuals may call 410-260-7980 (from Central Maryland) or 1-800-MD-TAXES, or email


MEDIA CONTACTS:  Susan O'Brien -
                                        Alan Brody -