SHIBA News Flash -- March 31, 2020 (Updated version)

SHIBA News Flash
WA state office of the insurance commissioner banner image

Can’t see this email? View it online.

Coronavirus and health insurance if you’re working and age 65 plus

As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, did you lose your group health insurance through your job or your spouse’s job and you’re age 65 or older?  If so, you, or someone you know in the same situation, will want to enroll in Medicare coverage right away as you most likely qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (

If you already signed up for Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) while you were actively working, you’ll need to complete the following two forms and mail them together to your local Social Security office (

If you have not yet signed up for Medicare Part A and Part B and want to enroll, go to Social Security (

The sooner you enroll, the better. Social Security will honor the date it receives your application, even under COVID19-related circumstances in which you’re unable to get the employer’s signature on the Request for employment information (Form L564 ( Social Security will accept the following documentation during this Special Enrollment Period:

  • Income tax returns that show health insurance premiums paid.
  • W-2s that show pre-tax medical contributions.
  • Pay stubs that reflect health insurance premium deductions.
  • Health insurance cards with a policy effective date.
  • Explanations of benefits paid by your employer health plan.
  • Statements or receipts that show payment of health insurance premiums.

Once you’re enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, you can choose to also enroll in a Medicare Supplement and a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan or enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. 

If you need help enrolling or have other Medicare-related questions, give SHIBA a call at 1-800-562-6900.