URGENT: The children of EU, EEA or Swiss citizens must check if they need to complete the EU settlement scheme application process

View as a webpage / Share

Southampton City Council - Stay Connected
White block
EUSS EU EU settlement scheme

Concerns raised that children of EU, EEA and Swiss families are not completing the Settlement Scheme process

Please pass this information on to the parent of any child who is from:

  • the EU (except Ireland)
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

Each child must have their own application. You can apply for your child or they can apply for themselves.

Your child is eligible for settled or pre-settled status if they’re under 21 and either:

  • an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but you are - or your spouse or civil partner is

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

If your child was born in the UK but is not a British citizen, they will still need to apply. You can check if they’re a British citizen if you’re not sure.

The final deadline 30 June 2021. There is a risk that a child’s residence will be unlawful after this date if a successful application is not made. 

EUSS video

What you need to know if you have 'Permanent Residence' status or 'Indefinite Leave to Remain'

Even if you have documented permanent residence status you still have to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (or apply for UK citizenship via a different immigration process). During the application process you will need to enter your document number, instead of having to prove a period of residence. More information is available on the .gov.uk website.

If you have a valid UK permanent residence document, you’ll have one of the following:

  • a certificate inside your blue ‘residence documentation’ booklet (or pink if you’re a Swiss national)
  • a certificate inside your passport
  • a biometric residence card confirming permanent residence (only if you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen)

Your document is not a permanent residence document if it has ‘registration certificate’ written on it.

If you’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland your permanent residence document will say ‘Document Certifying Permanent Residence’.

If you’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, your biometric residence card will say ‘Permanent Residence Status’.

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

What you must do

To continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 you must either: