Landlord Newsletter January 2022

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Nottingham Landlord Updates header banner

Latest news and updates from Safer Housing at Nottingham City Council

Top Stories

A Message from Cllr Linda Woodings, Portfolio Holder for Planning, Housing and Heritage.

Cllr Linda Woodings

“I want to thank the landlords and property managers who worked with us in 2021. We have seen some great partnership results and have supported landlords to improve their homes where needed.

“We have all been through some of the most testing times, both within the sector and the country as a whole. As a Council we are seeing the number of homeless families and local people rising, so I want to thank those landlords who have supported their tenants to keep a roof over their heads.

“If you are struggling with your tenants, please contact our team who can help mediate and work with you and your tenants to prevent getting to the point of eviction. Email to get support. We may be the Regulator, but we are here to help you, to offer support and information where we can.

“We want to continue to work with you to improve the industry standards and improve housing in the rented sector in Nottingham. Let’s continue these partnerships in 2022.”

Revised Licence Conditions – HMOs and Selective Licensing

The Council has revised and updated the licence conditions for HMO (part 2) and Selective (part 3 licences).

Most changes are relatively minor, but there is one that is more significant which is the requirement for a written waste management plan (see Dealing with rubbish in the below link). The conditions will, in general only apply to new licences, they will not be applied retrospectively

The reason these were updated was because of particular issues we have had at a large number of properties, these changes will require landlords to be more proactive in managing these issue in the future, to help prevent problems.

There may be some properties where we are seeing issues and we would want to propose the new conditions on the licence holder and in that case the licence can be ‘varied’, and this will go through the normal licence variation process.

We will be issuing full guidance to help landlords comply with the condition in the coming weeks.

Read the summary of main changes here 

Potential Free Security Upgrades for Your Home


There is still time for landlords and tenants in parts of the Arboretum and Lenton Triangle area to get free home safety improvements if eligible. 

The Safer Streets funding of £432k is being invested in a raft of security upgrades and additional policing to reduce the fear of crime and prevent households and individuals falling victim to burglars.  

The Safer Streets project will fund the below upgrades to rented homes:

  • Free security upgrades at up to 500 residential properties in the area including previous burglary victims and neighbouring properties. Improvements will be based on risk and vulnerability and could include new window and door locks, window alarms, external PIR lights, external PIR activated CCTV, repairs or security improvements to doors and windows, and where beneficial repairs to gates/perimeter fencing.
  • Free Ring doorbell devices to up to 375 student properties in the area.

We have created a list of streets where properties may be eligible for these measures. You can find this in the link below and more information on qualifying for a risk assessment and how to get in touch.

Find out more here.

Help with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards


Don’t forget we have a dedicated team who can help and support you navigate the world of Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES).

Since 1 April 2020, the Government set Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) for all private rented housing*.

It means that landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating below ‘E’, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

The MEES team will be enforcing the above regulations, but they can also help you look at your options, where to find funding support and what you may need to do so you don’t breach MEES.

If you need help, please email the team below.

More News

Report Issues to the Council

Nottingham City Council has a system called Report it, where you can report a number of issues in neighbourhoods.

This could be:

  • anti-social behaviour,                                     
  • pest issues
  • Noise complaints
  • bins and waste issues
  • street or road issues
  • Fly-tipping
  • overgrown hedges

So, if you notice any issues on the road where your property is or in the local neighbourhood, you can report these in one place and this will then passed onto the relevant team in the council to deal with.

You can find Report It here.


If you are having issues with bins at your property and need to order a new or replacement bin or book a bulky waste collection – you can do this here.

Stay Connected

social media

To get all the latest information, tips, advice and updates from the Safer Housing team, follow us on social media. 

NottmRenters Facebook 

NottmRenters Twitter 

Safer Housing website

Stay connected - we post what's happening as it happens!