News Release: Free Summer Meals Can Include Camps and Enrolled Programs

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Oregon Department of Education - Oregon achieves - together


June 17, 2021
Media Contact: Marc Siegel

Free Summer Meals Can Include Camps and Enrolled Programs

Summer Food Service Program offers nutritious meals to combat childhood hunger

(Salem, Ore.) – The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) in Oregon that offers free meals for Oregon children ages 18 and younger also includes those who are enrolled at camps and other enrolled summer meals programs. SFSP is part of the Oregon Department of Education’s efforts to “Bridge the Gap” that students face after the end of one school year and the start of another. A complete list of these Oregon locations can be found on the ODE website.

Families may be asked to complete a meal benefit application, to verify eligibility based on Federal Income Eligibility Standards, in order to enroll in these programs. Summer meals are offered to all kids enrolled in these programs, ages 1-18 at no charge. Foster children or the children whose household receives Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) funds automatically receive free benefits. 

If you have questions, please email ODE Community Nutrition Manager Meghan Tschida or call her at (503) 947- 2506.

# # #

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:,  and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

# # #