CAR Newsletter - July 2017

Newsletter Archive | Statewide Accounting Manual | Forms | State Comptroller


Pathfinder SRDC Enrollment Code Being Used in Error on Paysheets

The Pathfinder enrollment deduction code “SRDC” should only be used when setting up an employee in the Pathfinder plan. If the code is entered to be used on a payroll directly, an amount will be withheld but will not be included in the file or payment to OPERS. This will result in OMES/CAR having to process a direct refund to the employee for the “SRDC” amount. Please be mindful to only use the code when setting up an employee in the Pathfinder Plan.

>> Back to Top

Updating Employee Bank Routing Numbers

Agencies may, on occasion, receive a report generated from the Office of the State Treasurer’s current ACH application. OST’s current ACH application automatically updates bank routing numbers based on the latest table of Federal Reserve Bank routing numbers. This update allows the items to continue processing for payment. When an update is made, the Participant Old/New Routing Number report is generated listing the employee, the incorrect bank routing number and the correct bank routing number. This report is distributed to agencies to update employee banking information. These updates must be made so transactions will continue to process without interruption. This report is sent out by OMES to the contact listed for the Updated Banking Information report.

>> Back to Top

Oklahoma Employment Security Commission Notification

State agencies may receive a notification from the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission regarding electronic submission of the OES-3, Oklahoma Employers Quarterly Contribution Report. Effective Jan. 1, 2017, this report must be filed electronically. OMES is in compliance with this requirement.

OMES submits the quarterly wage report for all state agencies that use the Oracle/PeopleSoft HCM system and are under the state’s FEIN. The report is currently submitted electronically using the EZ Tax Express website. If you receive this notification and have any questions, please contact Lisa Raihl at 405-521-3258, or Jean Hayes at 405-522-6300,

>> Back to Top

Adjustments to Oklahoma Child Support Payments

Agencies must notify OMES CAR of any items that will affect the Oklahoma centralized child support payment. Items that could affect the amount to be paid include refunds to employees for amounts withheld in error and reversals of payroll warrants. If OMES is not notified and the centralized child support payment is processed, the agency will be responsible for contacting the Department of Human Services child support division to attempt to get a refund.  If the funds have already been disbursed to the recipient, the money might not be refunded back to the agency. Timely communication from agencies is critical in these situations.

CAR runs the HCM process to report and make payment to the OCSS/Oklahoma Centralized Support Registry, PS vendor ID 0000190715, every Monday.  The process is run for payments with dates from the second previous Saturday through the previous Friday. For example: paychecks with an issue date between 7/01/2017 – 7/07/2017 were processed to pay the child support withholdings on 7/10/2017. All payments going to the OCSS must be set up to use Vendor ID 0000190715.  Payments to Vendor ID 0000000830 or Vendor ID 0000197419 for the OCSS are no longer allowed and will not be processed for centralized payment if used in error.  

In PeopleSoft Financials, a journal entry is created to remove the funds from  the agency’s 994 fund.  The agency will see a debit to the 633190 account and a credit to 101000.

For questions, please contact Beth Brox at 405-522-1099, or Jean Hayes at 405-522-6300,

>> Back to Top

Submission of OMES Form 94P - Tidbits

When an employee reimburses a payroll overpayment, please complete and submit the OMES Form 94P as soon as the reimbursement is made.  Timely submission helps ensure corrections are reflected in the quarter in which they occurred for proper reporting and also helps in the full recovery of OPERS retirement amounts.  If the retirement system is not aware of an overpayment and the pending overpayment refund request, payouts to former employees may be incorrect, resulting in a loss to the agency. In addition, retirement calculations may be incorrect if the overpayment is not reported timely.

Please do not provide copies of personal checks.  The form allows the agency to enter the amount reimbursed.  Additional back up data is not required.  

The form requires the State EmplID be entered.  This has been changed for the privacy and security of the employee. Please do not submit with the social security number or any other number.

>> Back to Top

Reduction of Annual Leave Hours for Overpayments

When an employee chooses to reimburse an overpayment using annual leave, the amount of annual leave reduced should equal the gross amount of overpayment. In the past there have been instances where agencies have incorrectly reduced the annual leave by the net amount of the overpayment. 

If an employee reimburses an overpayment using terminal leave, an OMES Form 94P must be submitted to correct the retirement amounts reported on the check that included the overpayment. Terminal leave is not included in retirement wage calculations; therefore, a payroll earnings adjustment is required.

>> Back to Top


Higher Ed Deferred Payroll

Payroll claims for hours worked in fiscal years 2017 and 2018 on one payroll fund transfer (PFT) file will record payroll expenses to the institution’s operating funds with Bud Refs 17 and 18. The claim number will begin with 18, which will require that all class 78900 transactions on the PFT file be recorded with Bud Ref 18. The first two digits of the claim number determine which 78900 budget is used for the net payroll vouchers, so all 78900 transactions on the PFT must be recorded with Bud Ref 18 to ensure the same allotment budget is used.

Please ensure the FY 2018 78900 allotment budget is sufficient for the FY 2017 expenses paid in July and August 2018.

>> Back to Top


1099 Tax Information Quarterly Report

We have just completed the first two quarters of the 2017 tax year.  It is time for ALL agencies to run the Miscellaneous 1099 Tax Information Report which will include all transactions from Jan. 1, 2017 through June 30, 2017. The path for this report in PeopleSoft Financials is: Accounts Payable>Reports> Payments> Misc Tax Information Report. With this report please review the following:

  • The Name and Tax ID number (TIN) must match the information on the vendor’s W-9, which designates the way the vendor reports their taxes to the IRS and state Tax Commission.
  • Pay attention to the 1099 Flag: Y means the vendor should receive a 1099, and N means the vendor should not receive a 1099. A vendor does not need a 1099 if it is registered as a corporation, non-profit or government entity (the exception to this is when the payment is for legal or medical services).  State employees in most cases should have an N 1099 flag.  All other non-exempt vendors should have a Y 1099 flag.  If there are any questions about a vendor’s 1099 status please request an updated W-9 from the vendor and forward a copy to OMES.
  • Please note that Address 1 in the vendor file is the designated address for 1099 reporting. If the vendor’s 1099 Flag is N, any new addresses provided will be added as a different location, but Address 1 will not change. If Address 1 should be different please request the change by submitting the request on OMES Form Vendor /Payee.
  • Review all warrants processed for each vendor to ensure that the correct amount is listed for the proper vendor.  (Any warrant corrections will need to be made at the agency level.)

Please send any corrections on this report to the OMES by Friday, July 28, 2017. If you have any questions contact Beth Brox at 405- 522-1099 or by e-mail at

NOTE:  This does not apply to Higher Ed Institutions since they will be doing their own 1099 reporting for 2017.

>> Back to Top

Mid-Year 1099 IRS TIN Match

In July, OMES will run a TIN Match process to compare names and tax ID numbers with the IRS on all vendors who have received 1099 reportable payments for the first half of tax year 2017.  By doing this we hope to provide more correct information on the original 1099 that the vendor will receive since the time for reporting is more limited for 2017.  We will notify individual agencies of vendors that don’t match with the IRS asking for them to provide the necessary correcting information.  Please be ready to respond promptly if/when you are notified.  Please contact Beth Brox at 405-522-1099 or by email at if you have any questions.

NOTE:  This does not apply to Higher Ed Institutions since they will be doing their own 1099 reporting for 2017.

>> Back to Top


Late Payment To Vendors - New Interest Rate - FY 2018

The FY 2018 interest rate applicable to late payments to vendors has been set at .38% per annum, or $0.001 per $100 per day, which will be in effect July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.  This interest rate is provided by the State Treasurer based on the average interest rate for thirty day time deposits of state funds during the last calendar quarter of the last preceding fiscal year. (O.S. 62 § 34.71 & 34.72 and O.S. 74 § 500.16A. and OMES Prompt Payment Rules/Regulations)

>> Back to Top

Volume 28, Number 1
Fiscal Year-2018
July 12, 2017

In This Issue ...


OKC American Payroll Association Monthly Lunch & Learn Chapter Meetings

OKC American Payroll Association
Monthly Lunch & Learn Chapter Meetings

Pay Cards
Thursday July 20, 2017
11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
For more information, please visit their website.

Fringe Benefits
Thursday August 17, 2017
11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
For more information, please visit their website.

>> Back to Top

APA PayTrain Level I

Oklahoma City Community College

Aug. 1 – Sept. 7, 2017

For more information, please visit: OCCC website

>> Back to Top

Payroll Law 2017

Presented by Fred Pryor Seminars

Aug. 11, 2017 – Oklahoma City
Dec. 5, 2017 – Oklahoma City

For more information, please visit their website.

>> Back to Top

2017 Oklahoma Payroll Conference

Presented by the Oklahoma City and Northeastern Oklahoma Chapters of the American Payroll Association

Friday, Sept. 15, 2017

Northeastern State University
3100 New Orleans Street
Broken Arrow, OK 74014

For more information please visit their website.

>> Back to Top

The Complete Guide to Payroll Taxes and 1099 Issues

Presented by the Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA)

Friday, Sept. 29, 2017 – Oklahoma City

For more information, please visit: OSCPA website

>> Back to Top

APA Preparing for Year End and 2018

Presented by American Payroll Association

Friday, Oct. 27, 2017 - Tulsa

For more information, please visit:  APA website

>> Back to Top


State Comptroller:
Lynne Bajema, CPA

Deputy State Comptroller:
Steve Funck, CPA, CGFM

Jennie Pratt, CPA, CGFM

Lisa Raihl, CPA

Transaction Processing:
Steve Wilson

Payroll Processing:
Elsa Kunnel

Statewide Accounts Payable:
Courtney Cowart

ISD Finance:
Cathy Menefee, CPA, CGFM

Vendor Maintenance:
Victoria Baker

OMES Service Desk:
(PeopleSoft questions)

Financial Reporting Unit:
Matt Clarkson, CPA

Agency Business Services:
Steven Hawkins, CGFM

Facebook Large

Like OklahomaOMES.

Twitter Large