Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
County Accepting HEAP Applications
Poughkeepsie… Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro announced the Dutchess County Department of Community and Family Services (DCFS) is now accepting applications for regular Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), which assists low-income residents with the cost of heat and energy-related expenses. Individuals can apply online at www.MyBenefits.NY.gov or in person at several locations throughout the County.
Eligibility for HEAP is based on household income. There are several HEAP benefits, and DCFS cannot give out or accept any HEAP applications for these programs prior to their respective opening date:
• Regular HEAP – assists low-income households by paying a portion of their heating costs; applications are now being accepted
• Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement (HERR) – assists eligible homeowners with furnace and tank repair or replacement; applications are now being accepted
• Emergency HEAP – assists residents if their electricity is necessary for heating system or thermostat to work and is either shut-off or scheduled to be shut off; or their electric or natural gas heat is off or scheduled to be shut-off; or are out of fuel, have less than one-quarter tank of fuel oil, kerosene or propane, or have less than a 10-day supply of wood, wood pellets, corn or other deliverable heat source; applications can be accepted starting Jan. 3, 2017
• Cooling HEAP component – provides for the purchase and installation of fans or air conditioners to eligible households; applications can be accepted starting May 1, 2017
Residents can only apply for a Regular HEAP benefit online at www.myBenefits.ny.gov. Residents can apply for all HEAP services in person at the various locations listed below, or they may print and mail the completed HEAP application to the following Dutchess County locations:
• DCFS Eastern Dutchess Government Center
131 County House Road, Millbrook, NY 12545
Phone: (845) 677-5532, Fax: (845) 677-5508
• DCFS Beacon Office
223 Main Street, Beacon, NY 12508
Phone: (845) 838-4800, Fax: (845) 838-4888
• DCFS Main Office
60 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.
HEAP Phone Number: (845) 486-3249, HEAP Fax: (845) 486-3232
• Community Action
Phone: (845) 452-5104 ext. 220.
• Dutchess County Office for the Aging (if you are 60 years of age or older)
27 High Street, 3rd Floor, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Phone: (845) 486-2555
Additionally, in case of emergency, Dutchess County DFCS operates a No-Heating Fuel Emergency Response Program through Dutchess County Community Action; residents can call (845) 486-3249 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays for assistance. An after-hours telephone number, (845) 437-0050, is maintained from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., as well as on weekends and holidays; low-income residents can call if they are without heating fuel or do not have a fuel supply that will last until the next County business day.
DCFS Commissioner Sabrina Jaar Marzouka said, “HEAP is an important program that keeps low-income families around Dutchess County safe during the winter. In addition to the online application through www.MyBenefits.NY.gov, we are happy to increase the access points where Dutchess County families can submit their HEAP applications to receive the assistance they need. Along with the three DCFS offices in Poughkeepsie, Beacon and Millbrook, we are partnering with the Office for the Aging and Community Action Agency.”