Green Ramsey Newsletter - January 2018

Logo Update

Green Ramsey 

An Environmental Health Newsletter from Ramsey County - January 2018




Fix-it Clinic
Ramsey County Library - Roseville
Saturday, January 27
10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
2180 North Hamline Ave., Roseville, MN 55113

Fix-it Clinic
North Haven Church
Saturday, February 24
10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
2240 15th Ave. East, North St. Paul, MN 55109

Find more Fix-It Clinic information online.

Household Hazardous Waste Collection
Saint Paul (Bay West)
Fri. & Sat.: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
5 Empire Dr., Saint Paul, MN 55103



Educational Kits and Games
Teaching about recycling? Borrow an educational kit or game for your class or community group. Reserve online or call 651-266-1199.

Be Active! Be Green! Recycling Container Grants
Need a recycling container in a park or public building? Our Be Active! Be Green! grant program is available for public entities to purchase recycling containers. Help make recycling easier when on-the-go. Call 651-266-1179.

Recycling Bins for Events
Hosting an event? Call 651-266-1199 for temporary bottles and cans recycling bins and organics recycling bins, or reserve them online.

Partners’ Grants
Calling all business organizations in the East Metro! Got a great idea to get other businesses to go green? Use our green to get going.

Public Entity Innovation Grants
Do you have an innovative idea to increase recycling through your city, school, park board, library or watershed district? Grants are available to help kick-start your idea! Call 651-266-1199 or email .

Waste collected in Ramsey and Washington Counties and beyond is hauled to the Recycling & Energy (R&E) Center to be turned into fuel for energy. The R&E Center is owned by the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Board.



Green Ramsey is published by the Environmental Health Division of Saint Paul - Ramsey County Public Health.

2785 White Bear Ave. N.
Suite 350
Maplewood, MN, 55109














Main Photo

Success Story:

Halberg Engineers Saves Money with Help from BizRecycling

Hallberg Engineering, located in White Bear Lake, wanted to reduce waste by improving their recycling and starting an organic waste collection. They looked to BizRecycling for help, and they got it! BizRecycling works with interested businesses of all sizes in Ramsey and Washington counties to start or improve their recycling or organic waste programs.

BizRecycling’s experts helped Hallberg Engineering apply for a BizRecycling grant. Once received, they used it to purchase reusable dishes and a dishwasher. In addition, they started collecting and recycling organic waste from their breakroom. These simple changes helped cut their trash volume in half, which is saving the company over $600 a year.


News You Can Use:

Radon---Is It in Your Home?

Since radon is produced from soil, it is present nearly everywhere. Radon is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that seeps up from soil in the earth. The gas can come through pores, cracks and floor-wall joints in your home. When inhaled, it gives off radioactive particles that can damage the cells that line the lung. If allowed to accumulate, radon becomes a health concern. The only way to know if you have radon is to test your home.

The Environmental Health Division of Saint Paul-Ramsey County Public Health is offering a $9 radon test kit, so you can protect your family from this harmful gas. Call the Environmental Health office at 651-266-1199 for more information.

Radon House

Recycle Your Live Christmas Tree

The holiday season has come to an end and it's time to recycle your live Christmas tree. You have several options for easy disposal:

  • Bring your tree to a Ramsey County yard waste site for free. Pine/spruce garland is also accepted. Visit for locations and hours or call 651-633 EASY (3279). Remove all decorations, lights, tinsel and tree bags. Flocked trees and wire wreaths are not accepted and may be placed in the trash.
  • Contact your trash hauler to see if they will take your tree to a compost site for you (fee charged).
  • Leave your natural tree outside, so it can be used as shelter for birds during the winter.

While a Christmas tree can legally be placed in the trash, we encourage you to recycle it. For recycling and disposal information on other items, visit or call 651-633 EASY (3279), answered 24/7.

Christmas Tree

Recycle Your String Lights and Cords

Did you find some non-working string lights while putting away your holiday décor? Bring them to Ramsey County’s year-round household hazardous waste site in Saint Paul where they can be safely recycled. All types of string lights and cords are accepted. Please remove battery packs or attached electronics/appliances prior to drop-off.

Visit for hours and a list of other items accepted. You can also check with your city to see if they have a recycling program for string lights and cords.

string lights unlit

Did you know?

Managing Electronic Waste

Wow! It’s estimated that Americans own 3 billion electronic products, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. But what happens when those same electronics are upgraded? Sometimes they end up in the garbage where they can release heavy metals and other chemicals into the environment.

In Minnesota, electronic waste is managed under the Hazardous Waste Rules and the Minnesota Electronics Recycling Act. This requires that electronics be collected and sent to a registered recycler to be safely dismantled. From there, the recyclers send the plastic, metals, glass and other materials to businesses around the world to be reused for new products.

Next time you’re looking to get rid of an electronic product, visit to help get it to the right place, so it can be safely taken apart and reused.

Electronic Waste

Sign up to receive Green Ramsey in your inbox each month.

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.