On Point newsletter for February 2015

Having trouble reading this message? View it as a webpage.

On Point - News and updates for wastewater discharge permit holders

Success story: City of Biscay sewer system up and running

Biscay: Installation of wastewater system

The new municipal wastewater treatment system for the city of Biscay, about 73 miles west of the Twin Cities, started operating in December 2014, culminating an effort that spanned six years. The Minnesota Public Facilities Authority and Board of Water and Soil Resources provided funding for 80 percent of the $1.4 million project. The city is paying the other 20 percent through a low-interest loan.

Other partners in the project included McLeod County, Midwest Assistance and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA). Wenk Associates was the project engineer.

Biscay is located on State Highway 22 in south-central Minnesota. It is a small town about halfway between Hutchinson and Glencoe with a population of about 114 people.

Formerly a straight pipe community to the South Fork Crow River, Biscay decided on a community on-site sewer system to treat its wastewater. The wastewater collection and treatment system will serve 29 connections. The collection system includes a combination of grinder pumps and gravity sewer. A lift station pumps the wastewater to the new treatment system, which is a midsized subsurface sewage treatment system. In addition, some property owners upgraded their onsite sewer systems as part of this project, though they remain separate from the municipal system.

Staright pipe to South Fork Crow River

This new system stops the discharge of 2.5 million gallons a year of raw sewage to the South Fork Crow River, helping make the water healthier for the river and waters downstream including the Mississippi.

Photo at top right: Installation of new wastewater treatment system.

Photo at right: Previous straight pipe to the South Fork Crow River.

Wastewater Operations Conference set for March 25-27

Minnesota manhole cover

The MPCA will hold the 78th annual Wastewater Operations Conference March 25-27 at the Marriott Northwest in Brooklyn Park.

Highlights include:

  • A & B exam refresher;
  • C & D exam refresher;
  • Certification examinations; and
  • Operator Awards Ceremony

Other topics include leadership, new technology, climate adaption, stabilization ponds, sewer cleaning and televising, emergency response, and much more.

In addition, several vendors will have exhibits for participants to visit.

To register, download the forms on the MPCA website.

On the agenda: Process for reviewing chemical additives