District 7 E-Newsletter

Councilwoman Paula McCraney 601 W. Jefferson Street (502) 574-1107
Paula Pic


Paula McCraney
601 W. Jefferson Street
(502) 574-1107

Email Councilwoman McCraney



Visit the District 7 Website

Phone Numbers
of Interest

Air Pollution: 574-6000

Animal Services: 363-6609
or 361-1318

Anonymous Tipline:
574-LMPD (5673)

Brightside: 574-2613

Jefferson County Clerk's Office: 574-5700

Legal Aid: 584-1254

Metro Call: 311 or 574-5000

Metro Parks: 574-7275

Metro Police: (Non Emergency) 574-7111 or 574-2111

Metro Safe: 572-3460
or 574-7111

MSD: 587-0603

PARC: 569-6222

Poison Control: 589-8222

Public Works: 574-5810

Solid Waste Management (SWMS): 574-3571

TARC: 585-1234

Veteran's Affairs: 595-4447

Easter Pic - Mini Mouse


This is another very long e-Newsletter.  My intent is to provide you with all the helpful information you will need regarding the Coronavirus.  The newsletter is filled with links that direct you to the informational sites of the CDC, WHO, Governor's Office, Louisville Mayor's Office, and other agency pages.  These sites will provide you with all you need to know about this dreaded virus, and direct you to resources that may be of some use to you now or in the future.

The Message from McCraney is lengthy, too.  It is about my personal experience with COVID-19.  Because it's so long, I have divided it into four parts.  You may choose to read it in its entirety or save parts for later reading.  It sounds silly but, it makes me feel better to break it up into segments.  These days, "feeling better" is the name of the game.

Lastly, to lighten up the newsletter and hopefully brighten your day, I have attempted to infuse some entertainment throughout the newsletter.  First, with some fun videos that I hope you'll find amusing, and second, at the bottom of the newsletter, the "Just 4 Fun" section includes a few tidbits, jokes and puzzles that you might find interesting.

Thank you for humoring me by reading the District 7 e-Newsletter.  I truly appreciate you for that.  Enjoy!

easter and passover

In this Issue...


Message from McCraney:

Dear Neighbor and Friend,


When I last communicated to you through this e-newsletter, I shared that I was self-quarantined for 14 days because I had just attended a conference at the Kentucky International Convention Center that attracted 3,000 women from Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the southeastern portion of Missouri, including St. Louis. During the conference, Louisville's Mayor smartly called for social distancing throughout the city and discouraged large events from taking place.  The conference was scheduled for March 11-15. Upon learning that the conference was being canceled after the first assembly on March 13, I chose not to attend the morning activities. I was there March 11th and 12th. 

I had big plans for my 14-day self-quarantine. I was set up at home with a laptop and an iPad for teleconferences. Because the mayor was suggesting that most businesses close and again emphasized the importance of social distancing, several of my Metro Council colleagues had chosen to self-quarantine, too. Yes, my plans were huge. I would work from home, be in the District more than normal, so I would drive around to take note of irregularities such as sidewalks in need of repair, traffic patterns at the busiest intersections, and drainage issues that seem to plague our community. I could transfer my office calls to my cellphone and communicate daily with my assistant.  I also went to the grocery store over the weekend and decided to be a great gourmet cook for at least one of the two-week incubation periods. Why not? After all, I could prep between phone calls and cook when I thought I'd accomplished a great deal during the day. I had plans to catch up on my reading, start writing on my next play, and watch a lot of Netflix. I hadn't stayed around the house for 14 days straight since ---- ever!

Prior to the conference, I did as I normally do at City Hall. I went into my office to do the work of the people. On March 3rd, I had back-to-back meetings.  One meeting stands out in my mind because I met with a Louisville Metro department head, who after the meeting, gave me a big hug. While that was memorable, especially since that was our first time meeting, what stands out in my mind the most is I learned later that day she had recently traveled to China and was fresh from a self-quarantine. Curious, at best.

On March 10th, one day before attending the conference, I attended two Metro Council Committee meetings. While both meetings were productive, one of them stands out in my mind as suspect - probable, if you will. I say this because while I was at the conference, a brouhaha by staff at the Metro Council resulted in a Councilman being asked to leave City Hall because he had just returned from Italy and hadn't quarantined. Well, wouldn't you know it, I was in a committee meeting with this Councilman.  Hmmm.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get sick during my precious 14 days. Approximately three days into my quarantine I began to cough a dry cough, was fatigued, felt pressure in my chest from the cough, and experienced shortness of breath. I instantly remembered that I had not gotten a flu shot. I self-medicated for about three days. On day four, March 20th, I went to an immediate care facility to get some relief. I was tested for the flu - negative. After several tests and drawing of blood, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was prescribed a Z-Pack and told that if my breathing got worse and chest pains persisted, I needed to go to the hospital. Whatever! I simply needed relief from the cough and wanted to be able to clear up the nasal congestion to breathe better.

My husband took some days off several days after I had begun feeling badly, and mentioned that he didn't feel well. When I completed the Z-Pack and still felt ill and started to gasp for air, my husband called his doctor and explained our symptoms.  His doctor advised us to go to Baptist East Hospital emergency. I could hardly breathe, so I felt that I may be kept overnight for observation. This was March 26, 2020.

As fate would have it, my husband had pneumonia and I had pneumonia and fluid built up on both lungs. We were tested for the Coronavirus. We both tested positive for COVID-19. We were both admitted in the hospital. His temperature was 102, and mine was 101.

I was eventually wheeled away to the room I'd settle into for five days. My husband was on the same floor --- the 4th floor of Baptist East --- the Coronavirus floor.  He was treated and released four days later. I was treated and released five days later, on March 30th. Neither of us was cured when we left the hospital. One of the lung doctors indicated that I should stay in the hospital a bit longer; however, I made a life or death decision and asked to be released based on something I was told about my continued care while in the hospital.


When I stepped through the hospital doors, Baptist East personnel sprang into action.  They were polite, patient and efficient. The two ladies staffing the table at the entrance, directed me immediately to the admission counter where the gentleman carefully asked my name and other necessary information.  He placed me in a wheelchair, put the plastic bracelet on my wrist and sent me on my way to an exam room. 

A very nice male nurse immediately hooked me up to a heart monitor and an IV drip. A woman, whom I assumed was a nurse, came into the room and questioned my whereabouts in the last couple of weeks. When she had collected the data she needed, I observed her exit the room nodding her head up and down as to alert someone on the other side of the door that she thought I had been exposed to the virus. As she closed the door, I heard her say, "She's got it."

A lung doctor came into the room and informed me that my husband had pneumonia and he would be admitted. He told me that I, too, had pneumonia and fluid in both lungs. He promised that they would take good care of us. I was then tested for the virus.  An unusually long white swab was placed in my nose and extended all the way back through my skull.  It was quite grueling. I gagged. But, that was not the worst of it. The nurse then placed two long swabs in my mouth and pushed them all the way to the back of my throat. He did it twice because he said the first time didn't produce enough saliva. I was fit to be tied, and I gagged again.

After about three hours in the exam room, I was placed in a private room. Again, I was hooked up to an IV drip, put on oxygen and a lot of blood was drawn. I was told that I was being treated for pneumonia.  They gave me liquid cough medicine, Mucinex, and Tylenol to reduce my fever. This is what I was given on day two also. On day three, I received a phone call from someone identifying himself as an employee of the Louisville Metro Health Department.  He told me that he was charged with calling all people who had been tested positive for COVID-19, and needed to ask me several questions.  I was shocked. Did he just break the news to me that I had tested positive?  I asked him to repeat himself.  When he finished, I told him that I had not been told that I tested positive. He assured me (and I use the term loosely) that I had tested positive and he needed to know who I had come in contact with in the previous two weeks.  I refused to answer his questions because I was not convinced of his purpose and intent.  We hung up.  Within the hour, Dr. Moyer, the Chief of Louisville Metro Health Department, called me and verified that the gentleman who had called me was one of her staff members and it was a requirement of the Center for Disease Control that they call and collect information from all COVID-19 patients.  She apologized for her staff being the first to inform me of my diagnosis instead of the doctor.  

I was mortified at the idea that I had the virus, but more disturbed that it took three days to get the results, and that when I did receive the results, it was the health department that informed me. They knew before I did. I was the patient in the hospital, yet the doctors were okay with sending data about me to the health department before discussing my results with me. What kind of healthcare system is this, I wondered!

I was in denial at first. Not because I felt embarrassed about having the virus or thought I did anything wrong to contract it. There is absolutely no stigma associated with being stricken with this awful, deadly disease.  My denial stemmed from the fact that I had been sick for more than a week, was self-medicating and then perhaps wrongly diagnosed with bronchitis. Had it not been for the fact that I literally could not breathe, I don't believe I would have been admitted to the hospital, correctly diagnosed with pneumonia or tested for the Coronavirus. So, in my mind, there was no way that I had the disease because surely the doctor at the immediate care center who diagnosed me with bronchitis would have picked up on the symptoms of COVID-19 and recommended testing. I HAD ALL THE SYMPTOMS - a dry cough, fever, sweats, chest pain, trouble breathing, shortness of breath, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, and I had even lost my sense of smell and taste buds.  

By the time the lung doctor visited me with the news, which was much later that evening, two nurses had been in and out of my room to take my temperature, draw blood and check my other vital signs. I wondered if they had been told. They didn't treat me any differently, so I didn't think they knew. I hadn't been told by the doctor, so why would they know.  My curiosity got the best of me, so I asked one of the nurses if he heard about my COVID-19 diagnosis.  He came closer to my bed and gently stated that they were told the night before, but was unable to discuss the results with me because that was the doctor's role. I was both dismayed and relieved by the conversation. Why was I the last to know?  But, I was grateful that the nurses, having been told about my results before me, treated me with the same respect that they had displayed on day one of my admittance.  Why was I surprised at their professional behavior?  Again, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to be ashamed of having the disease.

Because this Coronavirus is so new and mysterious, one would think that healthcare providers would not want to treat patients or be in the same proximity with infected ones. This speaks to the character of the healthcare workers throughout the nation.  They are brave, and caring, and thoughtful and driven. To them, their profession is a calling. They understand the risks, yet they show up for work every day.  Yes, this strand of virus is new, but the dangers of their jobs are not new. This is why they were "chosen" for this profession.  It takes a special kind of person to do the work healthcare professionals and first responders do on a daily basis. I was very blessed to have been assigned the nurses who took great care of me during my 5-day stay in the hospital. They are heroes --- troopers extraordinaire!

There was one nurse, though, that I thought was a bit less responsive than the others. When she arrived on her shift for the first time since I had been there (day 3 of my stay), she called my room to inform me that she would be my nurse for the evening. That was around 8:00 p.m. She told me that she had some new information on me and would be in the room in about 15 minutes to go over some things.  Around 9:30 p.m., I had to walk to the restroom. I dreaded these moments because it was then that I had to detach from the oxygen mask, and when I did, it was hard for me to breathe. As I slowly made my way towards the restroom, I could not catch my breath; I could not get enough air in my lungs to function.  I went into full panic mode.  I rushed to the bedside to push the help button.  When someone responded to the call, I managed to whisper that I could not breathe.   I was told that they would page my nurse.  About 5 minutes later, the nurse who told me that she'd be in my room in 15 minutes about an hour before, walked casually into the room.  She saw me struggling to breathe and approached me with the nasal mask.  I began pushing back because I couldn't breathe and it seemed to me that the mask would only serve to block my airway.  She finally got me calmed down and was able to put the mask on me. When I regained my composure, I told her that I felt like I was dying.  I then told her that it seemed as though she took her time getting in my room and when she did arrive, I felt she showed no sign of urgency when it was obvious that l was not breathing.  She told me that she was with another patient and apologized for the delay and perceived lackadaisical attitude.  I was just glad to be breathing again.  

She began to take my vitals and tell me that I had been prescribed some additional medication. While she was preparing my medication, I was preparing a question for her that had just occurred to me.  I asked her why I was not being given breathing treatments. She told me that while breathing treatments would help me, the hospital was unable to administer breathing treatments to me because they didn't have the proper masks for that. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  When she exited the room, I picked up the phone and called the one person that I knew would answer my call at almost midnight, and who had the compassion to listen, understand and perhaps do something to advocate for me. I called Metro Council President, David James. 

When I told Councilman James that I was told that I couldn't get breathing treatments because the hospital did not have the proper masks, he immediately empathized with me and stated that he found that to be odd since he actually serves on a PPE committee and he knew firsthand the hospital had just received thousands of masks. By this time, the nurse reentered my room and overheard me telling someone on the phone that I was upset about the fact that I couldn't get optimal care because the hospital was short of masks. President James, after listening to everything I had to say, told me that he was going to make a phone call and that he'd call me right back. It was almost midnight. I wondered what in the world could he do for me at that hour.

The nurse then said to me that it wasn't so much the lack of masks as it was a high risk for them to administer breathing treatments to patients. She went on to tell me that nurses where told that breathing treatments were being reserved for emergencies and when the virus got worse. I asked her what constitutes an emergency if not being able to breathe wasn't one.  She knelt next to my bed, touched my hand, and calmly said, "I'm so sorry."  

I was distressed by this unbelievable revelation. I said to her that it sounded like doctors or hospital administrators were playing God. It occurred to me that no matter how bad off I was, it had been predetermined that giving me breathing treatments was too great a risk, but perhaps giving them to someone else was a risk worth taking. I was determined not to succumb to this terrible disease. I said to her that I didn't need to die; I didn't have to be a fatal statistic of COVID-19. I stated that someone should be concerned with saving a patient in the moment instead of hoarding PPE in case of a surge. (For the record: I am not afraid to die. What scared me during my ordeal is the suffering.  When I could not breathe, it was pure torture.)

I asked her a series of questions that went like this: Who makes the decision about which non-breathing patients get treatment, and how does that person come to that conclusion?  Was it based on the black women in room 432 vs the white lady down the hall in another room, or was the decision based on the 60 year old woman who appeared to have lived long enough compared to the 25 year old who had so much more life to live? Was the decision based on the person's zip code - Districts 7, 16 or 17 versus Districts 1, 3 or 5? Could it be that decisions are made based on the type of insurance one person has vs another person's insurance plan? Either way you look at it, lives are at stake. Please understand, this situation was unsettling and I needed answers.

By this time, President James called. He told me to ask to speak to the disease control administrator for the hospital. I hung up from him and asked the nurse for that person's contact information. She offered her supervisor's information. I didn't want to speak to her supervisor, I wanted the person's information that David had recommended. She told me that she needed to step out of the room to get the information.  While she was out of the room, surprisingly, the lung doctor called me. He had obviously been contacted and told of my line of questioning.  He said to me that nurses are put at risk when they give breathing treatments to patients. I told him that if breathing treatments could help me get well, and if the hospital had breathing machines, then it was not my concern about the risk involved. I asked him how much did it cost to secure the proper PPE for hospital staff because I would be willing to pay for the gear.  He said that would not be necessary, but he needed me to understand that droplets from the fumes of the breathing machine was high risk for hospital workers. I was offended. Was he, too, telling me that my life was not as important as the life of hospital staff? Now, don't get me wrong, I would never argue the value of a life, but when faced with an option to breathe or die, or possibly risk another person's exposure to the virus, I choose breathing. 

The doctor told me that it might be best if I took the treatments at home, since my husband already had the virus, it would not harm him. I heard him, but I didn't hear him. I simply asked, "Am I eligible for breathing treatments?" He replied, yes, and told me that he was going to approve breathing treatments for me. I was both relieved and saddened.  Relieved that I was going to get the proper care that I needed to survive, but saddened by the notion that my opportunity came at the risk of someone else. It just didn't seem fair.

The nurse came back into the room and told me that she was there to prep me for the breathing treatment.  She said in order to administer the treatment, she needed to move me to a negative pressure room that was more than half the size of the room I was currently in. The way in which she described the room scared me, especially since she told me that I would have to remain in that room for the duration of my hospital stay. I had to weigh my options - which were slim to none. I told her that I did not want to go into that room and that I would speak to the doctor the next day to advocate being released from the hospital.  I don't know if she knew of the option for me to take breathing treatments at home, but I knew the option and thought that would be the best choice for me and for the hospital staff.  

The lung doctor visited me the next afternoon and we discussed the breathing treatments. We agreed that I would administer the treatments myself at home.  I was released that night around 9 p.m., and transported home by the hospital's ambulatory service.  


The ambulance personnel made sure I was safely settled in and understood how to operate the oxygen before they departed. I was now on my own, but not all alone. My husband was home. But, he was also recovering from pneumonia and COVID-19. We realized that in order to survive this dreadful disease or recuperate from pneumonia, we must exhibit extreme mental toughness and muster the strength of will needed to overcome an unknown and ruthless monster. There’s something to be said about the tenacity of the human spirit and the unbreakable bond of a 34-year marriage. We knew we had each other and that God had our backs. We were determined to pull through this thing together.

It's still a bit difficult for me to get around easily, mainly because for every step I take, I am subject to passing out due to the inability to breathe.  I have to be very still. A lot of movement causes a cough, a cough causes chest pains and chest pains lead to shortness of breath. I liken the shortness of breath experience to what it may feel like to be drowning. The more you fight to get out of the water to get some air, the more you realize that you are fighting a losing battle.  Panic sets in, and you see your life flash before you. I had several of these episodes. So, I take it easy.

I've been out of the hospital for 12 days now. I am still on oxygen because I still experience shortness of breath. I take breathing treatments four times per day and drink a spoonful of Robitussin DM as needed for my dry cough.  I no longer have a fever, the body aches and chills are gone, and as long as I take my time getting from one room to the next, with oxygen, I don't feel as fatigued as I felt prior to going into the hospital.  Fortunately, my appetite is slowly returning, but unfortunately, I have not recovered from the loss of smell and my taste buds are still on vacation.

I am on the road to recovery and feeling better each day.  My husband is perhaps at 95% recovery, but still should take it easy. He has been a great caretaker, all while taking care of himself. He manages to cook breakfast every morning, and sees to it that we are eating and drinking throughout the day. My wonderful Metro Council colleagues have taken turns sending full meals to the house. This has been a godsend, because I have not been able to stand for long periods at a time, so I am unable to cook.  For the first five days out of the hospital neither of us could get around well. We were fatigued and the coughing was debilitating. We are grateful for all the love shown us by friends, colleagues and family. We are truly blessed.


This experience has shown me just how vulnerable life can be. Disease, especially one as ferocious as Coronavirus, has no respecter of person. It does not matter where you live, how you live, how much money you have, what your title is, or who you know.  If you get exposed to this virus through droplets from a person or by touching something with droplets on it, you will get sick.  Social/physical distancing works, and all citizens should abide by the mandates and standards established by the CDC, healthcare professionals and government officials who are urging us to wash our hands, distance ourselves and stay home.  Doing these things has proven helpful in stopping the spread of the virus. 

I have also learned that I should no longer take my health for granted. I will work hard to build a strong and healthy immune system. It is the first and most important line of defense against deadly viruses, colds, flu and other nasty germs. I must exercise regularly, eat more mineral-rich foods - proteins, fruits, vegetables and fiber; stay hydrated, increase my vitamin C and D intake, get eight or more hours of sleep each night, be still every now and then, and listen to my mind, body and soul for clarity. I will take my healthcare into my own hands by reading more about the ailments I've experienced in the last couple of years.  I will study my health insurance plan to understand its benefits, and make sure I ask pertinent questions when I visit my doctor.  I owe it to myself, and you owe it to yourself, to require good healthcare from providers and the doctor(s) we visit. Know your rights, speak up if you feel you're not getting the best care available to you, and choose a doctor who appears to have your best interest in mind.  You are your best advocate!

If in some small (or big) way, I can be of service to you, please do not hesitate to call on me. I may be locked down at home until I am fully recovered, but I am in my right mind (okay, that may be questionable!) and able to work on my computer, attend virtual meetings, return phone calls (emails are best right now) and direct the activities of my staff.  The District 7 office is open for business, and we stand ready to serve.

As you've heard me say before: This, too, shall pass. In the meantime, let us all stay apart now, so that we can be together again in the near future. We can do this, District 7!   

My Oxygen Concentrator and Supplies


Pneumonia is an infection in one or both lungs. Bacteria, viruses, and fungi cause it. I was diagnosed at the hospital with double pneumonia. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), every year there are around 1 million Americans sent to the hospital with pneumonia, and about 500,000 die from the disease.

The infection causes inflammation in the air sacs in your lungs, filling them with fluid or pus, making it difficult to breathe.


oxygen tube

Treatment for pneumonia includes antibiotics, rest, fluids, management of complications and professional hospital and/or home care. 

Oxygen supplementation helps patients who cannot breathe adequately on their own.  Management of oxygen supplementation is divided into nasal cannula and mechanical ventilation.

I was put on non-invasive ventilation. This provides ventilatory support to me through  an oxygen nasal cannula. When I can't maneuver with the ventilator, I use a portable oxygen tank on wheels.  

My New Gadgets


Incentive Spirometer, Symbicort aerosol inhaler, and digital thermometer, oh my!

The spirometer is a device that measures how deeply you can inhale (breathe in). It helps you take slow, deep breaths to expand and fill your lungs with air.  It prevents lung problems, such as pneumonia. I have to use this at least twice daily.  The goal established for me by the hospital is to breathe to the 2500 mark. The first time I tried this, I was able to blow to the 500 mark. Now, I'm up to 1500. I'm making progress!

The Symbicort inhaler contains a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation in the body. It relaxes muscles in the airways to improve breathing.  I use this sparingly, mainly after I've been off oxygen to take a shower and do my morning hygiene routines. 

The thermometer is my best friend. I check my temperature daily to make sure it's normal. I have been fever-free for five days now.  Hip, hip hooray!!!

The Infamous Breathing Machine


This is the Power Neb Ultra Nebulizer. The compressor machine pushes medicated mist through a nebulizer and into the lungs. It meets the needs of those who have specific lung therapy needs.

I guess it's the medicated mist that poses the risk to hospital staff.  It's pretty user-friendly and I like it because it's helping to clear my lungs! 

I "nebulize" four times daily.


Hand Washing - Germ Stoppin'

LWC Video

What’s the most effective way to prevent the spread of germs and stay healthy? Hand washing. Louisville Water, with the help of a local creative agency, created a catchy jingle and video that helps remind kids and adults of the proper way to wash hands.

“Hand Washin' Germ Stoppin’” features Tapper, Louisville Water’s mascot. Louisville pure tap® is essential for overall health and hand washing, but it’s especially critical in minimizing the spread of the coronavirus.



Don't Let the Corona Get On Ya'!

Nursing Home

An Alabama retirement community shared a helpful message on social media this week amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

In a video posted on Facebook, residents of Wesley Gardens Retirement Community in Montgomery joined with facility driver Lee McBryde (while practicing social distancing by staying six steps away) to dance and sing some important lyrics during the COVID-19 crisis such as properly washing hands and covering up when coughing and sneezing to help prevent the spread.

“Don’t let the corona get on ya!” McBryde sang as residents danced around him while holding containers of disinfectant wipes.



Virtual Social Distancing Easter Egg Hunt

Easter Egg Hunt

Just because many of us are at home quarantined, doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate Easter with the family! Here are some easy tips for arranging a virtual Easter egg hunt.



COVID-19 Updates

Coronaviris header

Stay at Home

Stay Home

***CDC Changes Policy on Masks***


There are more cases of people spreading COVID-19 before they show symptoms, said Dr. Sarah Moyer, director of Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness and the city’s chief health strategist. The novel coronavirus causing COVID-19 can be spread through saliva and nasal secretions produced by coughs, sneezes, singing, and talking.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently issued new guidance encouraging everyone to wear some form of face covering when outside their homes. Dr. Moyer noted that wearing a mask will not prevent people from contracting the virus and is one of multiple measures people should take, including washing their hands, social distancing, limiting trips to the store and avoiding crowds.

“Wearing a mask of any sort does not replace social distancing,” she said, adding that surgical and N95 masks should be used by those most likely to encounter COVID-19. “These scarce resources must be saved for our healthcare workers and first responders.”

For more guidance on the use of cloth face coverings, visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.

How to Wear a Mask Properly

Wearing a Mask

CDC on Homemade Cloth Face Coverings

Face Mask


CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.  Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators.  Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

Should cloth face coverings be washed or otherwise cleaned regularly? How regularly?

Yes. They should be routinely washed depending on the frequency of use.

How does one safely sterilize/clean a cloth face covering?

A washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face covering.

How does one safely remove a used cloth face covering?

Individuals should be careful not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth when removing their face covering and wash hands immediately after removing.

For more guidance on the use of cloth face coverings, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html.

Stop the Spread - Don't Enter the Building

Stop Do Not Enter COVID

COVID-19 Facts



Coronavirus Scams

Local news revealed groups of people setting up COVID-19 testing sites in Louisville.  City and state officials are advising residents to avoid these sites for testing, and Kentucky Public Health Commissioner Dr. Steven Stack said Wednesday all testing sites must work with the state.  If you see any pop up testing sites please alert our office immediately or contact Metro311.

In response to COVID-19 scams, federal and state law enforcement leaders from Kentucky have formed the Kentucky Coronavirus Fraud Task Force.

Some examples of COVID-19 scams include:

  • Treatment scams: Scammers are offering to sell fake cures, vaccines, and advice on unproven treatments for COVID-19.
  • Supply scams: Scammers are creating fake shops, websites, social media accounts, and email addresses claiming to sell medical supplies currently in high demand, such as surgical masks. When consumers attempt to purchase supplies through these channels, fraudsters pocket the money and never provide the promised supplies.
  • Provider scams: Scammers are also contacting people by phone and email, pretending to be doctors and hospitals that have treated a friend or relative for COVID-19, and demanding payment for that treatment.
  • Charity scams: Scammers are soliciting donations for individuals, groups, and areas affected by COVID-19.
  • Phishing scams: Scammers posing as national and global health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), are sending phishing emails designed to trick recipients into downloading malware or providing personal identifying and financial information.
  • App scams: Scammers are also creating and manipulating mobile apps designed to track the spread of COVID-19 to insert malware that will compromise users’ devices and personal information.
  • Investment scams: Scammers are offering online promotions on various platforms, including social media, claiming that the products or services of publicly traded companies can prevent, detect, or cure COVID-19, and that the stock of these companies will dramatically increase in value as a result. These promotions are often styled as "research reports," make predictions of a specific "target price," and relate to microcap stocks, or low-priced stocks issued by the smallest of companies with limited publicly available information.
  • Price Gouging scams: When sellers and/or retailers sell or rent an item for a price “which is grossly in excess of the price prior to the declaration” per KRS 367.374.  Goods and services included in this prohibition include consumer food items; goods or services used for emergency cleanup; emergency supplies; medical supplies; home heating oil; building materials; housing; transportation, freight, and storage services; and gasoline or other motor fuels.
  • Other scams include fraudsters claiming to work for the government or banks/credit cards and offering assistance for student loan relief, foreclosure or eviction relief, unemployment assistance, debt relief, and direct financial assistance, like government checks. 

Western District of Kentucky U.S. Attorney Russell Coleman, Robert M. Duncan, Jr. U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Kentucky and Kentucky Attorney General Cameron urge everyone, especially those most at risk of serious illness, to avoid these and similar scams by taking the following steps:

  • Independently verify the identity of any company, charity, or individual that contacts you regarding COVID-19.
  • Check the websites and email addresses offering information, products, or services related to COVID-19. Be aware that scammers often employ addresses that differ only slightly from those belonging to the entities they are impersonating. For example, they might use "cdc.com" or "cdc.org" instead of "cdc.gov."
  • Be wary of unsolicited emails offering information, supplies, or treatment for COVID-19 or requesting your personal information for medical purposes. Legitimate health authorities will not contact the general public this way.
  • Do not click on links or open email attachments from unknown or unverified sources. Doing so could download a virus onto your computer or device.
  • Make sure the anti-malware and anti-virus software on your computer is operating and up to date.
  • Ignore offers for a COVID-19 vaccine, cure, or treatment. Remember, if there is a medical breakthrough, you won’t hear about it for the first time through an email, online ad, or unsolicited sales pitch.
  • Check online reviews of any company offering COVID-19 products or supplies. Avoid companies whose customers have complained about not receiving items.
  • Research any charities or crowdfunding sites soliciting donations in connection with COVID-19 before giving. Remember, an organization may not be legitimate even if it uses words like "CDC" or "government" in its name or has reputable looking seals or logos on its materials. For online resources on donating wisely, visit the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website.
  • Be wary of any business, charity, or individual requesting payments or donations in cash, by wire transfer, gift card, or through the mail. Don’t send money through any of these channels.
  • Be cautious of "investment opportunities" tied to COVID-19, especially those based on claims that a small company’s products or services can help stop the virus. If you decide to invest, carefully research the investment beforehand. For information on how to avoid investment fraud, visit the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) website.
  • For the most up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) websites.

If you believe you have been a target or victim of a scam or fraud, please report it to the National Center for Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721 or via email at disaster@leo.gov

Kentuckians wishing to report online scams and fraud can contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation at https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

To file a price gouging complaint, visit ag.ky.gov/pricegouging or call the Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-888-432-9257.

Parks & Recreation Coronavirus Response

parks response COVID

How to Help / How to Get Help

Click Here

It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and the Center for Disease Control  (CDC) recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.

When a vaccine isn't available for a virus, there are many actions people and communities can take to help slow the spread of illnesses.  Here are helpful prevention tools and resources for individuals as well as checklists for businesses, schools, and event planners:


The CDC is the best source for accurate, up-to-date information on the coronavirus. www.cdc.gov

The World Health Organization (WHO) is tracking novel coronavirus worldwide, posting daily situation updates, disspelling myths, providing answers to frequently asked questions and more: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Kentucky coronavirus live updates: Louisville has over 400 COVID-19 cases, four new deaths - Courier Journal article:


Gov. Beshear Issues Urgent Call for PPE Donations in COVID-19 Fight:


Governor’s Press Releases:  https://governor.ky.gov/news


Mayor Greg Fischer today said the city is banning motor vehicles from the loop roads in Iroquois, Cherokee, and Chickasaw parks effective at 7 a.m. Thursday. The parks will remain open and accessible to walkers, runners, and bicyclists who want to get fresh air and exercise during the COVID-19 shutdown of most other public spaces in Louisville. Golf courses will also continue to operate.

Louisville Metro has a website with updated information about COVID-19, including information from Mayor Greg Fischer’s briefings about City services.  CLICK HERE TO ACCESS INFORMATION: here

The Neighborhood Place locations are closed to walk-in traffic.

Emergency Response Food Drive

food drive

Kentucky Needs Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)


The brave first responders and healthcare professionals of the Commonwealth of Kentucky need our help. Our Commonwealth is in need of the following supplies:

  • N95 Medical-Grade Masks
  • KN95 Surgical Masks
  • KN95 Respirator Masks
  • Surgical Masks
  • Nitrile Gloves (Small, Medium and Large sizes)
  • Isolation Gowns
  • Face Shields

If you have any of these items, have access to or connections with anyone who has these items, or have the ability to shift your line of business to manufacture any of these items, please go to Kentucky PPE and submit your information.

Mayor Fischer said Louisville hospitals are not being overwhelmed with virus patients but are concerned about their supplies of PPE. The Mayor is urging Louisville companies that have PPE in stock or the capability to make PPE to step up and help.

That includes:

  • Coveralls
  • Face shields
  • Respirators
  • Safety goggles
  • Surgical masks
  • Surgical gloves
  • Sanitizing wipes
  • Disinfectant spray
  • Hand sanitizer (65% alcohol minimum)

If your company can donate or manufacture any of these items, or know someone who can, and you want to know more, please contact Louisville Metro Government at: covid19resources@louisvilleky.gov and someone will respond.

You can also contact the state PPE hotline at 1-833-448-3773, or go online at secure.kentucky.gov/formservices/TeamKentucky/PPE


Coronavirus Cleaning and Disinfecting

Cleaning and disinfecting


Clean surfaces using soap and water. Practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.


  • Clean the area or item with soap and water or another detergent if it is dirty. Then, use a household disinfectant or an EPA-registered household disinfectant.
  • Follow the instructions on the label to ensure safe and effective use of the product. Many products recommend:
    • Keeping surface wet for a period of time (see product label)
    • Precautions such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good ventilation during use of the product.
    • Diluted household bleach solutions may also be used if appropriate for the surface. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Leave solution on the surface for at least 1 minute To make a bleach solution, mix: 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water or 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water. Use alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol.

More details: Complete Disinfection Guidance

For soft surfaces such as carpeted floor, rugs, and drapes and lauder items:

  • Clean the surface using soap and water or with cleaners appropriate for use on these surfaces.
  • Launder items (if possible) according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely OR Disinfect with an EPA-registered household disinfectant. These disinfectants meet EPA’s criteria for use against COVID-19.

For clothing, towels, linens and other items

  • Launder items according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely.
  • Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty laundry from a person who is sick.
  • Dirty laundry from a person who is sick can be washed with other people’s items.
  • Do not shake dirty laundry.
  • Clean and disinfect clothes hampers according to guidance above for surfaces.
  • Remove gloves, and wash hands right away.

RESPOND TODAY - Fill Out the Census!


COVID-19 Government Stimulus Checks

stimulus check image

No one needs to pay a fee or take out a loan to get their COVID payment from the federal government.

Here are the facts:

  • Anyone who filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return or who gets SSDI will automatically get a check.
  • If you have changed addresses since your last tax return, you can file a simple form to make sure your check is mailed to the right place. Here is the official form to update your address
  • If you DID NOT FILEa tax return in 2018 or 2019 and/or have zero income, you can still get a check—but you must file a form with the IRS first. Click this link for information and the link to the official IRS form.

When will the money arrive?

NBC News reports that the first checks will arrive the week of April 13 for about 60 million Americans, but some folks may have to wait up until five months to get their money, especially if the government doesn't currently have your direct deposit information.

Paper checks will take much longer to send out and won't be mailed until early May, NBC News reports, while adding it could take five months to mail them all out.

TARC is Limiting Ridership


TARC is limiting ridership to essential trips only - April 3rd - April 30, 2020, or until Governor Beshear lifts the March 25, 2020 emergency “Stay at Home."

Essential trips include:

  • Obtaining necessary supplies and services for family or household members and pets, such as groceries, food and supplies for household consumption and use, supplies and equipment needed to work from home, and products necessary to maintain safety, sanitation and essential maintenance of the home
  • Engaging in activities essential for the health and safety of family, household members and pets, including things such as seeking medical or behavioral health or emergency services and obtaining medical supplies
  • Caring for a family member, friend, or pet in another household or residence, and to transport a family member, friend or their pet for essential health and safety activities, and to obtain necessary supplies
  • Employment in essential business services, meaning an essential employee performing work for an essential business as identified by the Governor as “necessary to sustain life.”

TARC is asking riders who need to make essential trips to avoid riding the bus during peak travel times of 6-9 a.m. and 2-6 p.m. to give more social distancing space to essential workers heading to and from their jobs.

Please visit www.ridetarc.org and click on the COVID-19 button for details and updates on how TARC is responding.

Flushable Wipes - NOT SO FLUSHABLE!

msd flush ovid

Personal Loans

lhome covid loan pers

Small Business Loans

lhome covid business

Just for Fun

Quote of the Week


Try Your Hand at These Brain Teasers

Answers will be provided in next week's e-Newsletter.  

Brain Teaser

Parked Car Space #

Question: In what number parking spot is the car parked?

Parked Car

The answer is at the very bottom of this newsletter.

Removing Yolk from the White of an Egg

In Honor of Easter Sunday, here's a simple way to remove yolk from the white of an egg:

Empty egg on a plate

Take an empty plastic bottle

Place over egg yolk, squeeze

When you let go, the bottle sucks up the yolk,

and you're able to place the yolk in a separate plate or in the skillet!


Cook and Peel Eggs with Little Effort



egg peeling

Are Your Eggs Fresh or Too Old?

Eggs FYI

Easter Jokes

Easter Jokes

Easter Word Search

Easter Puzzle

Parked Car Space # Answer:

There is a particular sequence to the numbering.  The car is parked in spot 87. How can you tell:

Once you realize that you're reading the numbers upside-down, you'll see that the car is parked in spot No. 87.