Gov. Holcomb, INDOT Award More Than $121 million in State Matching Funds for Rail Crossing Safety Improvements Through Local Trax Grants

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

News Release header

Gov. Holcomb, INDOT Award More Than $121 million in State Matching Funds for Rail Crossing Safety Improvements Through Local Trax Grants

Local Trax Logo

Gary, Ind. – Governor Eric J. Holcomb, Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Joe McGuinness, railroad industry leaders and local officials gathered today in Gary to announce the awarding of more than $121 million in one-time, state matching funds for rail crossing safety improvements through INDOT’s Local Trax matching grant. Launched earlier this year, Local Trax provides funds for Indiana cities, towns and counties to competitively pursue high-priority railroad grade separations, crossing closures and other safety enhancements at railroad intersections with local roads.

“Through the Next Level Roads plan and with the support of the General Assembly, we’re making historic improvements to Indiana’s infrastructure from the first mile to the last mile,” Gov. Holcomb said. “Local Trax funding is targeted toward the highest priority rail crossings where accidents have been frequent, chronic congestion has frustrated drivers and rail crossings have limited potential for development. These projects will help solve those challenges.”

The program requires local governments to provide only 20 percent of funding for land acquisition and construction, with the state providing the other 80 percent. INDOT will fund and manage design and environmental work, as well as provide project management through design delivery, contract letting, construction and inspection.

“Improving high-traffic rail crossings makes our communities safer, creates opportunities for economic development and boosts quality of life,” INDOT Commissioner Joe McGuinness said. “Through the Local Trax program, community leaders, the state and railroad companies come together as financial partners to improve aging railroad infrastructure throughout Indiana.”  

Beyond funds provided by the state and local communities, Norfolk Southern Railway, CSX Transportation and Canadian National are investing a combined nearly $10 million to deliver these local projects.

“Indiana Railway Coalition members are proud to be partners in the Local Trax program,” Indiana Railway Coalition President David Hall said. “Our participation in Local Trax represents our commitment to safe rail operations and being good corporate neighbors in the communities where we operate. We appreciate the strong leadership provided by Gov. Holcomb, the General Assembly and the Department of Transportation in the development of this important program.”

Community Awarded Funds

Project Location

Estimated State Matching Funds

Estimated Total Project Cost

Elkhart (City)

Hively Ave. east of Main St. crossing the Norfolk Southern Railway



Elkhart County

Sunnyside Ave./Mall Dr at U.S. 33 (Main St.) 




N. Clark Rd. near airport




Bridge over Norfolk Southern 800 feet E of Parrish Ave., 600 feet N of 173rd St.




Colorado St. over CN/Grand Trunk and Western



Kosciusko County

Kosciusko Co. C.R. 1300 N extension over Norfolk Southern Railroad and Main Street



La Porte

Tipton St. to Park St. between State St. and Furnace St.




Kennedy Ave. bridge over Canadian National and Norfolk Southern railways



Terre Haute

Near intersection of N. 13th St. and 8th Ave.



Vanderburgh County

Mill Rd. approx. 650 feet W of Kratzville Rd.




N. East St. over the Norfolk Southern Railroad near E. Hill St.



Wells County

Rerouting of Hoosier Highway in Wells County to connect to Adams Street at Bluffton City Limits




Funding authorization for Local Trax was granted in HEA1002-2017, the long-term, sustainable road funding plan passed by the Indiana General Assembly and signed by Governor Holcomb in April 2017. More information about Local Trax is online at

Next Level Roads