Medical certificate grace period is expected to end June 1

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Medical certificate grace period is expected to end June 1

For more information: (503) 373-0000, option 1 for information about over-dimension loads; (503) 378-6699 for information about registration services 

CDL holders urged to schedule medical exams as soon as possible


April 22, 2012

The federal and state grace period for commercial drivers to file a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC) with DMV will end this spring, but no sooner than June 1.

The MEC grace period has been in place since March 2020 as one of several motor carrier safety regulation waivers to help the trucking industry continue to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic. The current federal waiver will expire May 31, 2021, and though the FMCSA has not announced a decision, it has indicated it will not extend the grace period for filing MECs.

The Oregon waiver also will end this spring under a proposed administrative rule change that the Oregon Transportation Commission is scheduled to review at its May meeting. The targeted effective date of the state rule change is June 1.

If you do not have a current MEC on file with DMV, please schedule your medical examination as soon as possible and file it with DMV. You can file it online at under Notify the DMV.

When the grace period ends, DMV will resume canceling the commercial driving privileges of drivers who do not have an MEC on file.

Federal and state motor carrier safety regulations require commercial driver license holders and commercial learner permit holders to keep a valid unexpired MEC on file with DMV. The MEC must be issued by a certified Medical Examiner listed on the FMCSA National Registry.

Once you have your MEC, you can submit it to DMV online at DMV2U, by mail, by fax or in person at a DMV office.

More information on the MEC requirement in Oregon and how to submit it to DMV:


For DMV media inquiries only contact: David House at  or 503-945-5270.



trip check

For help determining authorized alternate routes, contact the agency’s Over Dimension Permit Unit, (503) 373-0000, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. For current construction and travel information, visit or dial 511.