January Raising the Steaks


January 2018


Beef It’s What’s for Dinner is 25 years old!

A new generation of consumers is getting to know beef.  To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the introduction of the iconic Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner campaign, the checkoff has launched videos  showcasing real, hard-working farmers and ranchers from around the country. Nationally, the “Rethink the Ranch” videos have reached more than 3.5 million consumers. Watch the videos.

annual report

WBC Annual Report available online

Are you curious about what happens to your hard-earned beef checkoff dollars?  The Wyoming Beef Council wants to share that information with you. To see what we’ve been up to, take a look at our annual report and browse the wybeef.com website

WBC seeks producer of range cattle

The Wyoming Beef Council (WBC) has an upcoming vacancy for a producer of range cattle.  The term for Tom Wright, Newcastle, who currently serves in this position will expire June 30, 2018.  Having served two consecutive terms, Tom is not eligible for reappointment. This position is open to any Wyoming producer of range cattle.  The position description and application are available on the WBC website. 



“New cuts of meat” was named top food trend for 2018 in survey of 700 professional chefs. The annual What’s Hot culinary forecast released by the National Restaurant Association named “new cuts of meat” as the top trend for 2018. As the authority on all things beef, the Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. Culinary Center chefs and meat scientists have put together a list of the top five innovative cuts you need to know. READ MORE

  1. Shoulder Tender
  2. Sirloin Bavette
  3. Coulotte
  4. Petite Sirloin
  5. Tri-Tip Roast


November Beef Exports Up

November 2017 U.S. beef export value took another step toward a likely full-year value record.  Beef export volume reached 246.7 million pounds in November, down 3 percent from November 2016 but still the second-highest monthly total of the year.

Export value was also the second-largest of 2017 at $666.4 million, up 8 percent year-over-year. January-November export volume totaled 2.5 billion pounds, up 7 percent, while export value climbed to $6.6 billion - up 15 percent from a year ago and slightly above the record pace established in 2014.Beef exports accounted for 13.1 percent of total production in November, the highest since July but down from 14.9 percent in November 2016. For muscle cuts only, the percentage exported was 10.9 percent - down from 11.7 percent in November 2016. For January through November, beef exports accounted for 12.8 percent of total production (down from 13.5 percent in 2016) and 10.3 percent for muscle cuts (steady with 2016).

November beef export value averaged $306.63 per head of fed slaughter, up 4 percent from a year ago and the highest in nearly three years. January-November export value averaged $282.34 per head, up 9 percent.

Japan, Hong Kong drive beef export growth and new value records in Korea and Taiwan.    

Learn More