Candle Fires - Are you at risk?

Kitsap County News Release

Here are some simple tips to help keep your home and family safe!

May 6, 2018


The Department of Community Development



Contact Information

David Lynam

Fire Marshal



Natalie Marshall

Media Liaison



Click the links below for more information about County resources.

All news releases

County Home Page

Inclement Weather

The Road Report


Candle Fires - Are you at risk?

(Port Orchard, WA) - Candles are a great way to liven up a room by adding fresh scent or light, but can also create devastation if they are not used properly. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office is urging residents to take proper precautions. 

"The number of fires caused by candles has more than doubled from last year within the unincorporated Kitsap County area,” according to David Lynam, Kitsap County Fire Marshal. "A candle is an open flame, which means it can quickly ignite anything that can burn", Lynam added. 

Did you know?

  • On average, 23 home candle fires are reported each day
  • 2% of home fires and home fire fatalities result from candles
  • 1/3 or all candle fires start in the bedroom and are often the result of someone falling asleep while the candle is still burning
  • More than 1/2 of these candle related fires started when the candle was placed too close to combustible material (such as curtains/drapes, mattresses/bedding, cabinets, clothing, papers/magazines or seasonal decorations. 

"Candle with care"

  • Blow out all candles before leaving a room or going to bed
  • Avoid use of candles in the bedroom or other areas that you may fall asleep
  • Keep candles at least one foot (12") away from anything that can burn or catch fire

How to stay safe!

  • Use sturdy candle holders that won't tip over easily to catch the dripping wax
  • Place candles on stable, uncluttered furniture where children and pets cannot knock them over
  • Put out your candle before it burns all the way down or too close to the holder/containers
  • Trim wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting and use noncombustible holders
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home
  • Have a flashlight and battery-powered lighting to use when the power goes out

Candle alternatives

Candle Alternatives

Consider using alternatives to candles in your home, such as battery operated, flame-less candles, diffusers or wax and oil warmers. They smell like candles and are a safe alternative!

Related Links:

BSM 2019