MSRB Monthly Update - May 2012

MSRB Monthly Update - May 2012
Upcoming Event
The MSRB and the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association are co-hosting a municipal securities regulation seminar for municipal market participants on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 in Chicago, Illinois.
Centered Blue Register Button
Upcoming Event
The MSRB and the California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission are co-hosting an education and outreach seminar for municipal market professionals on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 in San Francisco, California.
Register Button Blue Cropped
Did you know
EMMA’s Market Statistics section displays the most actively traded municipal securities each day.

Highlight of the Month

New Protections for State and Local Governments

Effective August 2, 2012, underwriters of municipal securities will have explicit and expanded obligations to state and local governments to provide them with more information about potential transactions, among other things.
Federal regulations established by the MSRB already require underwriters to treat state and local governments fairly. The new rules impose specific requirements related to fair treatment, and cover key areas in which underwriters interact with state and local governments in securities transactions. The MSRB believes that the new requirements will provide significant new protections for state and local governments.
Issuer Protection

New and Noteworthy

MSRB Adds Yield Data on Inter-Dealer Trades to EMMA

Yield information for municipal securities transactions between dealers is now available on the MSRB’s Electronic Municipal Market Access (EMMA®) website. As of April 30, 2012, EMMA provides free public access to the same price and yield information for all of the more than 10 million municipal securities transactions that occur in the market, both those between customers and dealers, and those between dealers.

MSRB Executive Director Lynnette Kelly Receives Public Service Award


MSRB Holds Quarterly Board Meeting

The MSRB held its quarterly Board of Directors meeting April 25-27, 2012 where it addressed issues related to protecting municipal market participants and enhancing market transparency. The Board addressed the following issues:

EMMA® Market Statistics

Continuing Disclosure Submissions Trend Higher in First Quarter 2012

EMMA Market Statistics
The number of continuing disclosure documents received by the MSRB totaled 39,549 in the first quarter of 2012, up 7.5 percent from the 36,780 documents received in the same period in 2011 and slightly higher than the 38,735 documents received in the last calendar quarter of 2011. Financial disclosures accounted for approximately 38 percent of all disclosures in the first quarter and event disclosures accounted for the remaining 62 percent.
Bond calls and audited financial statements or comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR) disclosures accounted for most of the documents submitted in the first three months of 2012, with 28.2 percent and 25.1 percent, respectively. Annual financial information and operating data submissions accounted for 22.5 percent of the documents while quarterly/monthly financial information accounted for 6.0 percent. 
Recently released quarterly statistics on municipal trading activity, continuing disclosure submissions or variable rate resets can be found here. 

Regulatory Roundup