Thursday, May 18, Potbelly Fundraiser (Reston), 5:00-8:00 PM
Monday, May 22, Baskin Robbins Fundraiser, 4:00-8:30 PM
Friday, May 26 - 2 hour early dismissal (12:15 PM)
Monday, May 29 - Memorial Day Holiday - Schools closed
Thursday, June 22 - 8th Grade Celebration, 6:30-9:00 PM
1. Attendance Calls During SOL Window
2. 8th Grade Celebration
3. National Junior Honor Society
4. PTA Potbelly Fundraiser
5. Baskin Robbins Fundraiser
6. PTA 2017-2018
7. FCPS Summer Course Registration
1. Attendance Calls During SOL Window: During SOL testing at middle schools from Monday, May 15 through Friday, June 9, 2017, the morning attendance telephone calls, texts and emails to home for reporting a student's absence will not occur. This temporary suspension reflects the fact that students are often in designated testing sites within the school during the normal attendance-taking time. The evening attendance telephone calls and emails will still remain in place.
2. 8th Grade Celebration: Attention all RCMS 8th Graders: Don't miss your End-of-Year Celebration at Rachel Carson Middle School on Thursday, June 22, 2017, from 6:30-9:00 PM. This will be a night to remember with awesome inflatables, DJ, dancing, karaoke, photo booths, and more! Come celebrate with your friends and classmates! Tickets are now on sale on the PTA Website: www.rcmspta.org.
Parent volunteers are needed to sell tickets, donate snacks and drinks and help set-up and chaperone the event. Please note that only parents who are volunteers on the night of the event will be allowed to attend.
To volunteer to sell tickets: Sell-Tickets
To donate snacks and drinks: Donations
To help the night of the event: Event-Help
If you are able to help lead the coordination of Snacks, Decorations, Ticket Sales, or Event Volunteers, please contact Kiran at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, visit the PTA website.
3. National Junior Honor Society: National Junior Honor Society applications are on their way
to eligible 7th grade students! All 7th grade students
with a GPA of 3.5 or higher are invited to apply to join NJHS. These
applications must be submitted to the box in the main office by 4:30 pm on
Wednesday, May 24th. No late applications will be accepted under
4. PTA Potbelly Fundraiser: This Thursday, May 18, from 5:00-8:00 PM, PTA is sponsoring a fundraiser at the Potbelly Sandwich Works located at 12150 Sunset Hills Road, Reston, VA (located near Target). Potbelly will donate 40% of ALL dine-in and take-out sales back to our school! This fundraiser will support the purchase of new computers and other PTA-planned events. Treat yourself and your family to a yummy dinner, and help RCMS reach its goals!
5. Baskin Robbins Fundraiser: Mark Monday, May 22 on your calendar!
RCMS is sponsoring a Baskin Robbins evening in our community to raise
money for our RCMS families who are facing financial struggles! RCMS staff will be scooping ice cream for students
and parents at the Baskin Robbins located at 13344
Franklin Farms Rd, Herndon, VA 20171 (right down the road from Carson!) from 4:00-8:30 PM. We hope to see everyone there!
6. PTA 2017-2018: The RCMS PTA is looking for key volunteers for the
2017/2018 school year. The PTA partners with the school to obtain funding
and run programs that benefit our children. The PTA Board leads these efforts. We are still looking for a
volunteer for the roles of President, Vice President 8th grade, Vice President
7th grade, Treasurer, and Secretary. Key committee positions include
Hospitality, Spirit Wear, Membership and Reflections. Please contact the RCMS PTA President at RCMSPTA.Pres@gmail.com today if you are interested.
7. FCPS Summer Course Registration: Course registration begins May 1st for summer online campus programs. Registration is completed online. Rising 9th grade students should be aware that courses taken in the summer session, following promotion, are ineligible for removal from the high school transcript. Our wonderful counselors are happy to answer questions.
Summer Camp Information:
Fairfax Public Access (FPA) offers students interested in Television and Radio production a great outlet to learn, experience, and create. One-week Radio and two-week Television Camps are offered, in which participants will be certified in the use of FPA production equipment. Once properly trained, participants can begin volunteering and earning production experience throughout the year by helping in the various public access programs created at FPA or even create a show of their own. Additional information and registration forms are online at: FPAcamps.
For students who are currently in 6th or 7th grade and will attend one of the following schools for 2017-2018: Hughes MS, Herndon MS, Carson MS, Longfellow MS, or Cooper MS: Herndon VIP Camp will be held at Herndon Middle
School July 5-August 3, every Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM-4:00 PM. Please click here to register. Please make checks payable to either Herndon MS or Carson MS. You may mail payment to Carson or drop checks off at Carson to the attention of Mr. Pawlowski.
Lakes HS Athletic Booster Club is sponsoring summer camps for boys and girls
basketball, field hockey, girls lacrosse, coed volleyball and football.
Register now as space is limited! Please direct questions to: email@example.com.
Summer 2017 Enrichment Institutes
and Camps: Enrichment institutes and camps focus on
specific areas such as fine and performing arts, technology, study skills,
science, and foreign language. FCPS and non-FCPS students are welcome.
Science, Technology, Engineering,
and Mathematics (STEM) Camp, Tech Adventure Camp (TAC), Institute for the Arts
(IFTA), and the Elementary Institute for the Arts (E-IFTA) classes will be held
at Lake Braddock Secondary School. Programs run between July 10
and August 4, 2017. Bus transportation is provided from select high
schools and middle schools outside of the Lake Braddock
pyramid. Transportation to and from the selected high schools is the
responsibility of the parent/guardian or student.
eligibility for each program refers to the current 2016-17 school year. Click
institutes and camps for additional information.
be running weekly science and technology camps for middle school students
(different options between July 10-August 4) and for high school students
(different options between July 10-July 27). The summer learning
experience is open to all current grades 7-11 students who reside in the
region, including those that do not attend TJ. Transportation is
available for those who live in Fairfax County for $55 per week. These
inquiry-oriented learning experiences aim to foster interest in STEM through
problem-based, project-based, and authentic activities without a grade.
Simply put, learning solely for enjoyment. A description of the different institute camps is
available at our summer school website (https://www.tjhsst.edu/research-academics/summer-school/). Registration is online based on a first come,
first served basis.
Middle School Institute registration begins on March 13 and High School Institute
registration begins on March 15. Questions about the courses should be
directed to Craig Lewis (CALewis1@fcps.edu).
Other FCPS schools are sharing....
From Chantilly High School: Is
your rising high school student interested in participating in a HS
sport? If so, a VHSL Physical is
required. While you are
welcome to obtain a physical from your physician, the FCPS Athletic programs
also support you in completing this task. The Chantilly High School
Athletic Training Program will be completing physicals on Thursday June 8th.
Physicals are $50 and by appointment only. You can sign
up at https://www.fcps.edu/node/28860
information regarding the Chantilly High School Sports Physicals and the
Athletic Training Program, please visit http://www.chantillysports.org/main/teamnews/id/155#43092288
or contact the Chantilly High School Head Athletic Trainer, Katelyn Bishop, at KABishop@fcps.edu.
From Westfield High School: The Westfield High School Volleyball Program will be
holding an Interest Meeting on Wednesday, May 17th at 6:00PM for all current
8th graders who will be attending Westfield in the Fall and are interested in
trying out for the 2017 volleyball season.
The meeting will be held in the Driver's Ed Room at Westfield (enter
through door 11 and it will be the first room on the left). Parents are welcome too!
From TJHSST: TJ is holding a Techstravaganza on Saturday, May 20th from 10:00 AM-4:00 PM This annual hands-on STEM activity fair is for students aged 5-14. Please register at http://www.techstravaganza.org/#event. Admission is free.
From South Lakes High School: Cross
Country interest meetings will be held at South Lakes High School on
April 20th, May 9th and June 6th at
6 PM in room 149. This is a good time to learn about Cross Country and
have all your pre-season questions answered. We will discuss summer
training and camps, racing, practices during school and general requirements
for being on the team.
remember Cross Country will begin at 8AM on Tues., August 01, 2017, at South
Lakes High School for all students wanting to try-out for the 2017 Cross
needed to try out can be found on www.southlakesathletics.org and must be completed/returned
to the Activities Office prior to August 1st.
Examination Form VHSL – Must be dated May 1st, 2017 or later
-Emergency Care Form
-Parent Volunteer Information Form
Online PowerPoint on www.fcps.edu/sports.
Parents and Athletes must complete prior to tryouts.
If you have any questions pertaining to Cross Country, please
contact Coach Schuler at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 703-715-4629 or come to one of the meetings. Additional info will soon be posted on www.southlakesathletics.org
underneath the Cross Country tab.