South Dakota FSA October Newsletter

October 2019

NL Masthead

South Dakota FSA Newsletter

South Dakota           
Farm Service Agency

200 4th St. SW Suite 308
Huron, SD 57350

Phone:  605-352-1160
Fax:  855-243-6003


State Executive Director:

Paul Shubeck

State Committee:

Mark Gross, Chairman

Tiffani Robertson, Member

Gwen Kitzan, Member

Bill Simonson, Member

Kelsey Ducheneaux, Member


Program Managers:

Jamie White
Executive Officer

Owen Fagerhaug
Conservation/Safety Net

Theresa Hoadley
Program Delivery/Price Support

LaDonna Hupp
Farm Loan


To find contact information for your local office go to



FSA Offers Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) for Livestock Losses due to Recent Flooding

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides assistance to eligible producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by adverse weather, disease and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected by federal law.

LIP compensates livestock owners and contract growers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather, including losses due to floods, hurricanes, blizzards, wildfires, extreme heat or extreme cold.

For disease losses, FSA county committees can accept veterinarian certifications that livestock deaths were directly related to adverse weather and unpreventable through good animal husbandry and management.

Eligible livestock owners must file a notice of loss within 30 calendar days of when the loss is first apparent.

Participants must provide the following supporting documentation to their local FSA office no later than 60 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the eligible loss condition occurred.

  • Proof of death documentation
  • Copy of grower’s contracts
  • Proof of normal mortality documentation

USDA has established normal mortality rates for each type and weight range of eligible livestock, i.e. Adult Beef Cow = 1.5% and Non-Adult Beef Cattle (less than 400 pounds) = 3%. These established percentages reflect losses that are considered expected or typical under “normal” conditions. In addition to filing a notice of loss, producers must also submit an application for payment by March 1, 2020.

Additional Information about LIP is available at your local FSA office or online at:

FSA Offers Assistance for Flooding Feed and Grazing Losses

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)

Producers who suffered livestock feed or grazing losses due to recent flooding could be eligible for assistance through the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP).

ELAP provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, which are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs.

ELAP covers physically damaged or destroyed livestock feed that was purchased or mechanically harvested forage or feedstuffs intended for use as feed for the producer's eligible livestock. In order to be considered eligible, harvested forage must be baled. Forage that is only cut, raked or windrowed is not eligible. Producers must submit a notice of loss to their local FSA office within 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent.

ELAP also covers up to 180 lost grazing days in instances when a producer has been forced to remove livestock from a grazing pasture due to wildfire.

For beekeepers, ELAP covers beehive losses (the physical structure) in instances where the hive has been destroyed by a natural disaster including flooding, high winds, wildfire and tornadoes.

Producers with a qualifying loss should contact your local county FSA office to file a notice of loss within 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent. Producers should also maintain records and receipts documenting that livestock were removed from the grazing pasture due to flood, costs of transporting livestock feed to eligible livestock, receipts for equipment rental fees for hay lifts, feed purchase receipts and the number of gallons of water transported to livestock due to water shortages.

For more information regarding ELAP, please contact your local County FSA Office or visit