VIDEO AVAILABLE: Coast Guard rescues 3 mariners beset by weather 30 miles west of Oceanside

united states coast guard 

News Release  

U.S. Coast Guard 11th District PA Detachment San Diego
Contact: Coast Guard PA Detachment San Diego
Office: (619) 278-7025
After Hours: (619) 252-1304
PA Detachment San Diego online newsroom

Coast Guard rescues 3 mariners beset by weather 30 miles west of Oceanside

Coast Guard rescues mariners beset by weather 30 miles west of Oceanside

Editors' Note: Click on image to view and download the video.

SAN DIEGO — The Coast Guard rescued 3 mariners beset by weather approximately 30 miles west of Oceanside, Thursday.

Mariners aboard the 35-foot sailing vessel, Julia B Lewis, contacted Coast Guard Sector San Diego's Joint Harbor Operations Center watchstanders at approximately 5 p.m. Wednesday reporting that the boat was disabled with three people aboard, two of which were seasick and another with a head injury.

The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Halibut arrived on scene to assist at approximately 8:15 p.m.

Halibut’s crew attempted to launch their small boat crew to attempt an at-sea passenger transfer though they were unsuccessful due to weather conditions and sea state.

The crew remained on scene overnight to attempt to tow the vessel to a safe harbor once the weather permitted.

At approximately 7:45 a.m. Thursday, the vessel’s crew reported that an 80-year-old man suffering from a head injury was also exhibiting symptoms of complications from diabetes and a 25-year-old man was exhibiting symptoms of dehydration.

A Coast Guard Sector San Diego MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew launched to assist at approximately 8:15 a.m.

Once on scene, the Jayhawk crew lowered a rescue swimmer to provide care and assist the patients before hoisting them into the helicopter. 

The crew returned with the two patients to Sector San Diego shortly before noon where awaiting emergency medical services personnel took over care of the patients and transferred them to Balboa Naval Medical Center in San Diego.  

Both were reported to be in stable condition.

The remaining mariner, a 54-year-old man, remained with the sailing vessel.

Halibut’s crew is scheduled to tow the vessel to Avalon Harbor.