Coast Guard, local fire department rescue 3 people near Evanston, IL

united states coast guard 

News Release  

Oct. 18, 2017
U.S. Coast Guard 9th District Great Lakes
Contact: Sector Lake Michigan
(414) 747-7132

Coast Guard, local fire department rescue 3 people near Evanston, IL

A Coast Guard Station Wilmette Harbor boatcrew responds to a capsized sailboat near Evanston Greenwood beach, Illinois, Oct. 18, 2017.   The boatcrew rescued two people who were sitting on the capsized vessel with life jackets on; an Evanston Fire Department crew rescued a third person from another capsized sailboat nearby.   U.S. Coast Guard photo.

 Editors' Note: Click on images to download high resolution version of the video and stills. 

CLEVELAND – A Coast Guard Station Wilmette Harbor Response Boat-small crew and Evanston Fire Department boatcrew rescued three people from two capsized sailboats near Evanston Greenwood Beach, Illinois, Wednesday.

Watchstanders from Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan replied to two Mayday calls with no response, then received notification from Evanston 911 dispatch relaying a report from a good Samaritan of two capsized sailboats and three people in the water. An Urgent Marine Information Broadcast was issued, and watchstanders launched a Station Wilmette Harbor Response Boat-small crew and diverted an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew.

The Wilmette Harbor boatcrew arrived on scene and reported that an Evanston Fire Department boatcrew was on scene with a capsized sailboat with one person wearing a lifejacket, sitting on top of the hull with no reported medical concerns. The Evanston Fire boatcrew directed the Wilmette Harbor boatcrew to a second capsized sailboat’s location.

The crew arrived on scene with the second capsized sailboat with two persons wearing lifejackets, sitting atop the hull. The crew confirmed with the two sailors that both had made separate Mayday calls on VHF-FM Channel 16 but were unable to hear the Coast Guard respond to their calls.

The Station Wilmette boatcrew transferred the two sailors ashore to be evaluated by emergency medical service personnel for mild hypothermia. The Evanston Fire boatcrew towed both sailboats to the Northwestern boat ramp, where they were safely moored.