Ten Tips for Renters
Whether you are in an apartment or house, or live in a dorm room, you can do your part to Take Care of Texas! As a renter, you may not be able to make changes such as replacing appliances or repairing plumbing fixtures. However, there are simple steps you can take that will make a big impact. Not only will these tips help protect our environment, but many of them can also save you money! If you are unable to change these things on your own, share these ideas with your landlord or maintenance department.
You can find more helpful information about each tip on our website and download this fun infographic to share.
- Use ENERGY STAR light bulbs and remember to turn off the lights!
- Save energy by unplugging appliances and electronics when they are not in use.
- Keep the heat out by closing your window shades or drapes.
- Save water and energy by washing full loads of laundry and using cold water when possible.
- Start a compost bin – inside or outside – to prevent food waste from going to landfills.
- Buy cleaning products that are made from less-toxic ingredients.
- Purchase items that are made from recycled materials.
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher during warm months.
- Save paper by opting out of junk mail.
Notify your landlord immediately if you find a leak.
What Challenges is Texas Facing?
Did you know we are projected to need over 1 trillion more gallons of water by 2070? Watch our new video to learn about this and other demands on our critical resources in Texas. The brief video also provides simple yet effective steps that all Texans can take to be a part of the solution!
Spread the Word
Help your fellow Texans learn how to do their part by sharing the video on social media. This is also a great resource for educators to show in the classroom, utilities to send to customers, businesses to distribute to employees, and nonprofits to share with supporters!
Answer a Trivia Question for a Chance to Win
If all Texas households reduced their garbage by 1/3, how many pounds of garbage could we eliminate annually? Watch the video to find out! For a chance to win a $50 H-E-B gift card, comment on our Facebook post with the answer AND tag a fellow Texan. View the complete contest rules.