Reproductive Rights Hotline, Citizen Engagement, Capitol Construction Update & More


Senator Floyd Prozanski
South Lane and North Douglas Counties
District 4

900 Court St. NE, S-413, Salem Oregon 97301
Capitol phone: 503-986-1704
e-Bulletin                     February 2023

If you're having trouble viewing this message, please visit my legislative web page at, click on "News" in the lower left-hand column and scroll down.

Dear friends,

    On Tuesday, January 17, Oregon's Legislative Assembly officially began its 2023 Regular Session. Committees have been meeting in-person for the past several weeks, and both the Senate and House have been convening twice weekly for floor sessions to vote on bills. (As committees pass more bills to the floor, the Senate and House will meet more frequently.)

    While a major seismic and accessibility retrofit project continues at the State Capitol, closing all of the historic portion of the building, primary committee rooms have reopened. New this session is the option for anyone who wishes to offer committee testimony in support of or opposition to a bill to do so in-person, virtually, or via written testimony. For more information on how to engage in the legislative process this session, click here.

    Below you will find information on:

        - Oregon DOJ, Law Firms Launch Reproductive Rights Hotline
        - Veterans in Suicidal Crisis Can Go to Any VA or Non-VA Facility for Free Care
        - Grants Available for Veterans & War Memorials

State Agencies Partner to Support Youth Experiencing Homelessness
$1.5 Million for Lane County Behavioral Health Crisis Stabilization Center
Local Awardees of Safe Drinking Water Revolving Loan Fund
        - Capitol Construction Project Update

    I hope this information is helpful and informative for you or someone you know. As always, feel free to share your comments, questions or concerns with me by phone, mail or e-mail.

                                                               Sen. Prozanski signature

AG Rosenblum, Oregon Law Firms Launch Reproductive Rights Hotline

Oregon's Attorney General announced launch of the Oregon Reproductive Rights Hotline, a collaborative initiative spearheaded by the Oregon Department of Justice (Oregon DOJ) staffed by local law firms. The Hotline will provide free legal advice to anyone in need of guidance after the U.S. Supreme Court's recent decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health, overturning the long-standing constitutional right to abortion that was declared in Roe v. Wade in 1973.

The Oregon Reproductive Rights Hotline number is 503-431-6460.

The Hotline's team of lawyers will return calls within 48 hours after the call is received through the Oregon State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service. Legal questions will be answered on a pro bono (cost-free) basis by attorneys in participating law firms.

The law firm of Tonkon Torp is serving as the anchor firm for the initiative, with the assistance of other Oregon firms, including Markowitz Herbold, Perkins Coie, Stoel Rives, McDowell Rackner Gibson, and Pickett Dummigan McCall. All firms are participating pro bono, at no cost to callers or to the state.

As a reminder: Broad access to abortion remains protected in states that recognize reproductive freedom, including in Oregon. The Dobbs case (which overturned Roe v. Wade) did not change any Oregon laws protecting a person's right to obtain an abortion in Oregon. For example, in Oregon there are no gestational limits, no waiting periods, and medication abortion (abortion pills) can be accessed by mail. Immigration status or ability to pay does not prevent someone from accessing abortion in Oregon.

For more information, visit the Attorney General’s Reproductive Rights page here, or call the Hotline at 503-431-6460.

Veterans in Suicidal Crisis Can Go to Any VA or Non-VA Facility for Free Care

    Veterans in acute suicidal crisis can now go to any VA or non-VA health care facility for emergency health care at no cost — including inpatient or crisis residential care for up to 30 days and outpatient care for up to 90 days. Veterans do not need to be enrolled in VA health care to use this benefit. This expansion will increase access to acute suicide care for up to 9 million veterans who are not currently enrolled in the VA system. The final policy, which took effect January 17, allows the VA to:

  • Provide, pay for, or reimburse for treatment of eligible individuals' emergency suicide care, transportation costs, and follow-up care at a VA or non-VA facility for up to 30 days of inpatient care and 90 days of outpatient care.

  • Make appropriate referrals for care following the period of emergency suicide care.

  • Determine eligibility for other VA services and benefits.

  • Refer eligible individuals for appropriate VA programs and benefits following the period of emergency suicide care.

    Eligible individuals, regardless of VA enrollment status, are:

  • Veterans who were discharged or released from active duty after more than 24 months of active service under conditions other than dishonorable.

  • Former members of the armed forces, including reserve service members, who served more than 100 days under a combat exclusion or in support of a contingency operation either directly or by operating an unmanned aerial vehicle from another location who were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

  • Former members of the armed forces who were the victim of a physical assault of a sexual nature, a battery of a sexual nature, or sexual harassment while serving in the armed forces.

    If you or someone you know is struggling: Don't wait. Reach out. Visit for resources and information or call 988 (then press 1) to quickly connect with caring, qualified crisis support 24/7.

Grants Available for Veterans & War Memorials

    The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department is offering grants for the construction or restoration of veterans and war memorials throughout our state. The grant application period is open now and closes March 31, 2023.

    Local and regional governments and federally recognized Tribes are eligible to apply for funding for monuments placed on publicly owned properties. Grants may fund up to 80 percent of projects and require a 10 percent match from grant recipients.

    New monuments should acknowledge veterans and/or wars not already recognized in the community. Restoration projects may address broken monuments, missing elements, and/or additions to existing monuments. Proposals must demonstrate active participation of a veteran organization and community support.

    A free online workshop about the grant program will be held February 16, 1:00-2:00 p.m. via Zoom. Registration is required. For more information about the Veterans and War Memorials grant and other grant programs, visit

State Agencies Partner to Support Youth Experiencing Homelessness

Oregon Housing and Community Services recently completed a $9 million inter-agency funds transfer to the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) Self-Sufficiency Programs, Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program to support the housing needs of young people across Oregon.

ODHS Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program is tasked with coordinating statewide planning for delivery of services to youth under the age of 25 experiencing homelessness. The agency partners with impacted youth, community organizations and other state agencies to support and fund initiatives and programs within the youth homelessness system.

ODHS will use the $9 million to support local programs across the state, as well as newer initiatives and supports for youth experiencing homelessness across Oregon by investing in:

  • Prevention;
  • Crisis and long-term intervention;
  • Youth-specific housing initiatives;
  • Direct cash implementation support;
  • Job and life skills training;
  • Wraparound support; and
  • Host home programs that provide temporary housing for youth.

    The investment will also support College Housing Northwest’s Affordable Rents for College Students program (ARCS), which pays rent for up to one year for 25 college students experiencing homelessness. In addition to housing, each student in the program will receive case management services through New Avenues for Youth and Native American Youth Association that will support them and help them connect with other services they need to thrive and reach their full potential. It also solidifies an agreement between ODHS and ARCS that holds up to 21 housing units specifically for youth at an affordable rate for 25 years. This type of innovative housing partnership is possible thanks to the inter-agency funds transfer.

    In 2021, ODHS completed the state's first needs assessment focused on youth experiencing homelessness. The assessment estimated that there are more than 8,200 unhoused individuals under 25 who are likely to need safe, affordable housing and services to maintain stability. Long-term housing was identified as one of the greatest needs, and based on the assessment, an estimated system cost to meet the need would total approximately $154 million.

$1.5 Million for Lane County Behavioral Health Crisis Stabilization Center

    As KLCC reports, t
he 2023 federal omnibus bill is helping Lane County establish a behavioral health crisis stabilization center. $1.5 million will go toward equipment and facilities for the center, in addition to $7 million previously approved by the county Board of Commissioners.

Local Awardees of Safe Drinking Water Revolving Loan Fund

    Congratulations to the Springfield Utility Board for being awarded a state grant in the amount $18,000 for their water treatment feasibility study
and to Mapleton Water District and Sewer Association for being awarded various state grants totaling $650,000!

Capitol Construction Project Update

    As part of ongoing efforts to make seismic and accessibility improvements at your Capitol, the historic portion of the building is closed. While
Visitor Services staff will not resume in-person guided tours until January 2025, you can click here to take a virtual tour. To learn more about the impact of construction on Capitol operations, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page​.


Update your subscriptions, modify your password or e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your User Profile Page. You will need to use your e-mail address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact