Local REALTORS® Join Councilmember Craig Rice & MCFRS in Promoting Carbon Monoxide Safety

Local REALTORS® Join Councilmember Craig Rice & MCFRS in Promoting Carbon Monoxide Safety
Carbon Monoxide Alarm Law Changes on July 1, 2019

ROCKVILLE, Md., April 29, 2019— Beginning July 1 all single, two-unit, and townhouse residences that have fuel-burning appliances, a fireplace or an attached garage will be required to install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. State law has required CO alarms in newly-constructed homes since 2008. Bill 23-18, Fire Safety – Carbon Monoxide Alarm, will apply retroactively to the existing housing categories listed above. The Council enacted the bill unanimously and was signed by the County Executive in October 2018.

To educate consumers and homeowners alike about this change, Montgomery County’s local REALTOR® association – the Greater Capital Area Association of REALTORS® (GCAAR) – is launching an education campaign. “REALTORS® are in a great position to get the word out on home safety and it's a priority for our Association,” said GCAAR President Koki Adasi.

In June 2018 Councilmember Craig Rice, with the support of the GCAAR, introduced Bill 23-18, Fire Safety – Carbon Monoxide Alarm to safeguard County residents from carbon monoxide exposure. Councilmember Rice took action after a series of tragic carbon monoxide related incidents nationwide brought this dangerous issue to light.

“We’ve had too many deaths resulting from carbon monoxide poisoning and with outreach and education, we can ensure we don’t have another one,” said Councilmember Rice. “The only way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is with a carbon monoxide alarm.

“I applaud GCAAR’s efforts in informing our residents of their importance in our homes.”

Councilmember Rice also has been working with Fire Chief Scott Goldstein and the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) to inform members of the public. The Montgomery County Council produced videos, like this one, about the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to protect your home.

“I commend Councilmember Rice for introducing this important, life-saving legislation,” said Fire Chief Scott Goldstein. “Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning is so tragic because it is preventable -- through education, public awareness and the installation of CO alarms. The best way residents can be protected from CO is to have CO alarms installed on every level of the home and outside each sleeping area. MCFRS is excited to team up with GCAAR and Councilmember Rice to educate homeowners in Montgomery County and, ultimately, to save lives.”

To learn more, visit the Home Ownership Matters campaign page here and feel free to contact GCAAR at MDlegislative@gcaar.com or Councilmember Rice at Councilmember.Rice@MontgomeryCountyMD.gov.

# # #