The Brief - May 2018

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Brief Masthead 2018 CD

Vol. 14, No. 5                                                                     May 2018

Address updates

Going it alone? Changing firms or locations? State Bar recently stopped providing an email address you can use? Ensure you keep getting your minute entries, endorsements, and correspondence from the Clerk’s office by updating your information online at Point your clients here as well for the party/litigant address change form.

If the whole firm is moving, contact the Clerk’s Distribution Center by email at Include as much detail in the notification as possible, including old firm name and new, new address, all attorneys by name whose address needs updating, and contact information for someone at your office we can reach with questions.

Note that addresses updated with the Clerk’s office are used for sending notices and other official contacts on cases associated with individual attorneys. Attorneys who are retiring or no longer practicing law should file a withdrawal in each case to ensure they are removed as attorney of record. Updating a business address to a personal address could result in that residential address appearing on court documents in the public record.

Summer is near

Any chance you’ll be traveling outside the U.S. this summer or fall? Is your child’s passport more than 5 years old? If so, you might want to schedule an appointment to get your passport applications processed. The State Department reports that passports can take 4-6 weeks to process and return, making this a must-do for your summer travel plans and to help you avoid expedited processing costs. You can find the application paperwork online from the State Department at then print it and bring it with you. See the Clerk’s website for fees, acceptable forms of payment, and documents to bring with you. You can now make an appointment online from the Clerk’s website at