The Brief - May 2016

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

The Brief

Vol. 12, No. 5                                                                         May 2016

Petitioning for Grandparent Visitation

Before petitioning the court for grandparent visitation, research whether the court has previously decided legal decision-making and parenting time for the children. If an order exists, Arizona Revised Statute § 25-409(G) requires filing the grandparent visitation petition in the existing family court case.

Northwest Regional Court Center Remodel

Construction on the Clerk’s marriage license, passport, public records, and file counter areas will begin mid-May and continue for approximately 3-4 weeks at the Northwest Regional Court Center in Surprise. This location has experienced high-volume customer traffic for several years, resulting in long wait times.

The Northwest Court project will take place in two phases, resulting in two more service windows at the file counter. The additional service windows and design will decrease wait times, decrease congestion in the lobby area, and improve the overall customer experience. The Clerk’s Office is adding features at this location that have improved speed and service at other locations.

Construction will happen after hours and on the weekends. However, during the expansion, a limited number of windows will be available for filing and other services. Temporary service windows will be available in the lobby throughout the project. For adult case-type filings, customers are encouraged to use the Clerk’s depository box, located outside the building and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If a different location is more convenient, the same services are available at the Downtown Phoenix, Northeast Phoenix, and Southeast (Mesa) locations.

For more information about the project, look for a flyer at the Northwest location and on the Clerk’s website at Thank you in advance for your patience during these improvements and we hope you enjoy the results!

Address updates

Going it alone? Changing firms or location? Ensure you keep getting your minute entries, endorsements, and correspondence from the Clerk’s Office by updating your information online at Point your clients here as well for the party/litigant address change form.

If the whole firm is moving, contact the Clerk’s Distribution Center by email at Include as much detail in the notification as possible to ensure the Clerk’s Office matches all the attorneys to the correct firm.

Please note that addresses updated with the Clerk’s Office are used for sending notices and other official contacts on cases associated with individual attorneys. Attorneys who are retiring or no longer practicing law should file a withdrawal in each case to ensure they are removed as attorney of record. Updating a business address to a personal address could result in that residential address appearing on court documents in the public record.