The National Resource Directory's Family & Caregiver Support section connects you to resources that respond to the needs of the families and caregivers of Veterans and Service Members. You'll find information about everything from support groups and coping with deployment to tips for caregivers and help with personal finances. This section of the National Resource Directory is organized into the seven main areas listed below.
Information about casualty assistance, scholarships for survivors, organizations that provide support to military families and tips for families of deploying Service Members - these are just some of the resources you’ll find in this section of the National Resource Directory. Here are a few more are:
Joining Forces, a national initiative to mobilize all sectors of society to give our Service Members and their families the opportunities and support they have earned.
- VA’s Dependents' Educational Assistance program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents. This program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.
- A Family Deployment Checklist is available to help you stay organized and make sure you have on hand important documents before your spouse is deployed.
Operation: Military Kids connects military children and youth with local resources to enhance their well-being. Youth can meet other youth who are also experiencing deployment and participate in recreational, social and educational programs.
Check out this section of the National Resource Directory for information about caring for an injured Service Member, financial and legal help for caregivers and information about respite care and its importance for caregivers.
A few examples of the resources you’ll find in this section of the National Resource Directory are:
- The Legal Services Locator to help you find legal help near you. Search by zip code and branch of service.
- Family Caregiving 101 — If you're caring for a loved one who is ill or disabled, this site was created for you. It's a great place to find assistance, answers, new ideas and helpful advice — for you and your loved one.
- Coaching Into Care is a national clinical service that provides information and help to Veterans and loved ones who are concerned about them. For confidential help call 1-888-823-7458.
Children & Youth
This section of the National Resource Directory focuses on the needs of military children. You'll find information about child care, recreational opportunities for kids, as well as programs for children with disabilities.
Some examples of the resources in this section are:
This section of the National Resource Directory is for families coping with the loss of a loved one. Resources include information about the grieving process, casualty assistance and organizations that offer family bereavement assistance and direct financial help. Here are some of the resources you'll find in this section:
There are many confidential counseling programs through which trained professionals can help you or a family member experiencing alcohol or drug addiction, depression, bereavement and other challenges. Here are a few resources in this section of the National Resource Directory that can help with your mental health and counseling needs:
Domestic Abuse & Sexual Assault
Get help if you are in an abusive relationship or if you have been sexually assaulted, and find information about organizations working to prevent domestic abuse and sexual assault. Here are some of the resources you'll find in this section of the National Resource Directory:
Financial Information & Assistance
Here you'll information about taxes, managing personal finances and finding funds to help in emergency situations. These are just some of the resources in this section of the National Resource Directory. Here are a few more are:
- Army Emergency Relief (AER) helps soldiers and dependents through emergency financial assistance. There are 91 AER Sections of U.S. Army installations worldwide.
- MyMoney.gov has financial information for members of the military, including DoD's Financial Readiness Campaign and personal financial managers on military installations.
Planning for Financial Readiness Before Deployment has information on preparing your finances before deployment, including calculating your net worth, understanding your income and expenses, protecting your savings, protecting your property, getting life insurance and more.