Top 5 Teacher Quotes
Wisdom from Teachers (Heard by ED)
5. On teachers' unique methods of play: "My favorite thing to do is call the parent when [a student does something remarkably well]. I say, "hi, this is Mr. ________ from ________ high school… I have your son in my law class.” You can hear the person suck and hold their breath; you can audibly hear it. “I just want to let you know that your son did a fantastic job in class today and then give details. You can hear [the parent literally] exhale in relief" (Boston, MA).
4. On the importance of reading and writing:
"The power of literacy is often underestimated. Reading is the simplest way we can empower the oppressed or disadvantaged to help themselves" (Caiwrigh on ED blog
3. On why it is important for teachers to help students use a new language in a meaningful context and to focus on communication, more than grammar: “We all knew how to say 'flush a toilet' before we knew what a verb was” (Spanish teacher from Texas).
2. On teacher evaluation: "Teachers want to know their impact on student learning. We want to see data, aligned to our curriculum, about the progress our students are making. We want good information that leads to opportunities to improve our practice" (Memphis, TN).
1. Explaining why it does not make sense to continue to compensate teachers as if they are nuns: “Teachers shouldn’t be seen as doing ‘the Lord’s work’. We should be seen as doing the work that’s needed to preserve democratic, American society" (Denver, CO).