Top 5 Teacher Quotes
Wisdom from Teachers (heard by ED)
5. On the tough job that teaching is: "...the 6-7 hour day in the classroom is exhausting — most people wouldn’t even do a birthday party for 25 -35 youngsters" (on the ED.gov blog).
4. On what teachers need most: "“Time. Time to work alone and together” (Louisville, KY).
3. Oregon Teacher of the Year contrasts her son's initial salary with her own after 30 years of teaching. "My son was hired by an engineering firm directly upon finishing his engineering degree. They sent him a moving company and a stipend to help with moving costs...Within two years of being hired with this company - with only his BS and with two year’s tenure - his salary surpassed mine" (Corvallis, OR).
2. On the importance of teachers: “Poverty is not destiny” (CA).
1. What others don't know about teaching: “I actually wrote a grant to get money to buy an adapter to hook the DVD player in my classroom to the TV. The year we moved classrooms and the adapter disappeared was a sad, sad year…” (Southern MD)