National Night Out & Night to Unite
Pictured in photo: Capt. Haans Vitek, who shared safety tips at an event in Minneapolis
On August 7th, in recognition of National Night Out & Night to Unite, Sheriff Rich Stanek and sheriff's deputies attended nearly 100 community safety fairs, block parties, and cookouts in Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Greenfield, Minneapolis, Minnetonka, and Plymouth - just to name a few locations. Hennepin County residents have a terrific history of past participation, and Hennepin County is considered a national leader in this event. Thank you to everyone who attended events throughout Hennepin County!
Fight Crime by Investing in Kids
Pictured in photo: Sheriff Stanek is among the law enforcement leaders who enjoyed reading to kids during a visit to New Horizon Academy at Laurel Village.
"When it comes to making sure Minnesota's kids get a great start, we cannot and should not skimp on early care and education. If we give early care and education the proper support, we'll have fewer dropouts, less crime, safer communities, and the investment will pay off many times over." - Sheriff Stanek
Don't be a Target!
If you are planning to travel over the Labor Day weekend, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office reminds you to take precautions to protect your home and personal property. Here are some simple home-security measures to remember:
- Don't allow bushes, shrubs or trees to create blind spots or hiding places.
- Cut back tree limbs that could help thieves climb into upstairs windows.
- All exterior doors should be solid core.
- Ensure all exterior door hinges are security hinges, which cannot be disassembled from the outside.
- Install auxiliary locks and pinning devices to sliding glass doors.
- Close and lock overhead garage doors.
- Install a deadbolt to the interior door leading from the garage to the inside of your home.
- Secure bicycles, lawn mowers, ladders, and other personal items inside.
Minnesota State Fair!
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is partnering with AARP Minnesota at the Minnesota State Fair to distribute important information about prescription drug disposal locations and prescription drug abuse. Come visit us on August 30th at the AARP Minnesota booth in the Education Building!
Back to School Safety
The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is urging motorists to use extra caution at the start of the school year. Parents are reminded to review school bus and pedestrian safety with their children.