AUGUST BOARD ACTIONS
August 2, 2011
- The Board approved the Hennepin Youth Sports Program grant solicitation process. Applications are now being accepted by the Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission which oversees the program. This year grants of up to $10,000 to purchase equipment and/or other small capital assets are also available. Visit www.mnsports.org.
- Commissioners Callison and Stenglein were appointed to the Hennepin County Canvassing Board in preparation for the upcoming special elections in Senate District 46 and Senate District 61.
- Cleanup funding for the former Scherer Brothers Lumber site was approved. The plan is to redevelop the west side as a Mississippi riverfront park and trail.
- The Board approved an estimated $9 million for the reconstruction of the Lyndale Avenue South bridge and road from 56th Street to Minnehaha Parkway in South Minneapolis.
- An amendment to the Bassett Creek Watershed plan and the maximum levy was approved. The revised capital improvement program adds three projects. The 2012 maximum special levy was set at $998,000 to finance those projects.
August 16, 2011
- The Board approved the design-build process for The Interchange Project and established a two-phase approval process. The first phase is a Request for Qualifications and the second phase is a Request for Proposals.
- The Board accepted nearly $4.9 million from the MN Department of Human Services to coordinate a range of services in the seven county metro area for individuals and families experiencing long-term homelessness.
- The Board approved agreements awarding $150,000 in Waste Abatement Incentive Fund grants for nine projects – six of them to schools – that offer innovative ways to reduce and recycle waste. The City of Shorewood was awarded a grant to pilot the collection of organic waste from 500 residential homes.
- An agreement with the Edward R. Lowe Foundation, including $50,000 in funding, was approved for an Economic Gardening pilot program to help businesses grow and create jobs.
AUGUST BOARD BRIEFINGS
In addition to our regularly scheduled board meetings, the Board often meets on Thursday mornings to receive “Board Briefings.” These are informal opportunities to discuss emerging issues. No decisions are made. Board Briefings occur in the Boardroom on the 24th floor of the Hennepin County Government Center and are open to the public.
On August 11, 2011, The Board was briefed on the Minneapolis Transportation Interchange. (The Interchange is the area near Target Field where additional services are being planned in order to accommodate the Central Corridor light rail transit, potential other lines such as Southwest and the queuing issues that exist when the Twins play.) The purpose of the briefing was to review the proposed design, the approval process, funding issues and the construction process. Staff is proposing to use a design-build process for construction, which is scheduled to begin in 2012. (Approvals related to the design-build process came before the Board on August 16.)
Medicine Collection Events
Hennepin County is providing residents the opportunity to properly and safely dispose of their unwanted, unused, and expired medicines.
- Saturday, September 24, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in St. Louis Park.
- Saturday, October 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Orono.
- Map both events
about materials accepted at the collection events.
**Collection events are open to Hennepin County residents only. If you are not a Hennepin County resident, contact your county, city, or local law enforcement agency.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection in Shorewood
Hennepin County and the City of Shorewood will hold a community collection event for residents to safely dispose of unwanted garden and household hazardous wastes. Waste accepted includes household, lawn and garden products; items containing mercury; electronics; and fuel wastes.
- Thursday, September 15, to Saturday, September 17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Shorewood Public Works Facility - 24200 Smithtown Road.
- For a list of waste accepted, click here.
- Map the event.
Hennepin County Public Health offers low-cost immunizations to those without adequate health insurance. For more information about these clinics call 612-348-2884
- Downtown Minneapolis Clinic
525 Portland Avenue S.
September 2, 8:30 to 11 a.m.
- Bloomington Clinic
1900 W. Old Shakopee Road
September 6 and 20 from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
- Brooklyn Center Clinic
6125 Shingle Creek Road
September 27, 9 to 11 a.m.
Property taxes due October 15
**This year October 15 falls on a Saturday. If the date falls on a weekend or holiday, taxes are due the next business day.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Please call or e-mail anytime that staff or I might be able to help. We are also happy to meet with groups in the district any time. You can reach the office at 612-348-7886 or e-mail us directly: