Frequently Asked Questions
Online PTIN System
New e-file Requirements
for Tax Pros
RENEW YOUR ENROLLED AGENT STATUS
Dear Tax Professional,
It is time to renew your status as an enrolled agent.
You must renew your status as an enrolled agent every three years in order to remain eligible to practice before the IRS. Because your social security number ends in 0, 1, 2, or 3, you must renew by January 31, 2013.
- Renew your license using Form 8554, Application for Renewal of Enrollment to Practice Before the IRS, at Pay.gov between November 1, 2012 and January 31, 2013.
- Go to Pay.gov and enter “8554” in the Search Public Forms box on the left-hand side.
- Complete the online form and pay the $30 renewal fee.
- Renewals may take up to 90 days to process.
All enrolled agents must also have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and you must enter it on Form 8554.
All enrolled agents must obtain a PTIN and renew it each year per Treasury Department Circular 230 Section 10.6(d)(2)(i). If you do not already have a PTIN, you can obtain one online at IRS.gov/ptin. When you apply, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- The address and filing status from your most recent Form 1040 income tax return
- Other identification numbers, such as an Employer Identification Number, CAF number, Electronic Filing Identification Number, CPA, bar, or enrolled agent license number
- Contact information, such as a permanent mailing address, physical business address, email address, and telephone number
- Credit or debit card number to pay the $64.25 user fee
You’ll also need to answer the following questions:
- Are you in compliance with your federal tax obligations?
- Have you been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years?
If you have questions about your enrolled agent renewal, please email your inquiry to EPP@irs.gov or call 313-234-1280 (Hours: 7:30 am – 4 pm (ET)).
Back to top
The receipt of this message does not mean that you are subscribed to an e-mail service.
This message was distributed automatically.
Please Do Not Reply To This Message