Best Practices Spotlight:
(Editor's note: The Office of Vital Records will periodically spotlight hospitals throughout the state that are helping Minnesota lead the nation in birth registration. The second hospital we have chosen to spotlight is Regions Hospital in Saint Paul.)
Regions Hospital filed 2,483 births in 2013 with birth registrar staff working diligently to collect the birth information. They use interpreters and worksheets in the Hmong, Somali, and Spanish languages to assist in collecting accurate information from a diverse urban population filing 98.7 percent of births within five days.
Best practices include consistent communication among their birth registry staff including any changes or updates to MR&C or MDH guidelines. Birth registry staff members continually look for ways to improve processes to make the most of their time and resources.
They also keep building on their good relationships with nurses, health unit coordinators (HUCs), staff members in the Birth Center, and in Labor and Delivery - Teamwork!
Please join us in congratulating Regions Hospital for a job well done!
2013 Birth Records – By the Numbers
Have you ever wondered what the most often corrected (before one year or issuance of a birth certificate) and most often amended (after one year or issuance of a birth certificate) demographic data items on birth records are? This month we would like to share the "Top 10" most often corrected and amended demographic fields for babies who were born in 2013.
Most Corrected Fields - Number of Corrections
1. Father’s city of birth - 418
2. Mother’s city of birth - 415
3. Child’s middle name - 406
4. Mother’s maiden last name - 391
5. Child’s first name - 355
6. Mother’s maiden middle name - 209
7. Father’s date of birth - 190
8. Father’s middle name - 177
9. Mother’s middle name - 173
10. Child’s time of birth - 166
Most Amended Fields - Number of Amendments
1. Mother’s maiden last name - 30
2. Father’s date of birth - 29
3. Mother’s city of birth - 25
4. Father’s city of birth - 23
5. Mother’s date of birth - 18
6. Child’s last name - 14
7. Child’s middle name - 14
8. Father’s middle name - 14
(tie) 9. Child’s first name - 8
9. Father’s first name - 8
9. Father’s last name - 8
In relation to the top 10 lists above, when parents review the birth verification form, you may want to ask them to pay special attention to the city of birth for both the mother and father, and also the mother’s maiden name.
Did You Know?
- Number of births registered in 2013: 68,489
- Number of certificates issued for only 2013 births: 44,115
- Of the 44,115 certificates, 19,728 were issued within the first 30 days after birth
The top five counties that issued the most birth certificates for babies born only in 2013 were:
1. Hennepin - 13,831
2. Ramsey - 6,680
3. Dakota - 2,650
4. Anoka - 2,410
5. Washington - 2,163