FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 2, 2014
EXPERIENCE "GREAT OUTDOORS MONTH" IN A FLORIDA STATE PARK
~Events held at Florida state parks to encourage increased participation~
TALLAHASSEE – The weather is heating up and that means it is a great time to get outside and enjoy some of Florida's natural treasures. Governor Rick Scott is partnering with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection's Florida Park Service to proclaim June as "Great Outdoors Month." Whether you're looking for a great place to picnic with the family, prefer a scenic trail to pass the time or are looking for a natural spring to cool off in, the Florida Park Service has you covered.
" 'Great Outdoors Month' is a wonderful reminder of how lucky Florida residents are to have such wonderful natural treasures surrounding us," said Florida Park Service Director Donald Forgione. "June is a great time to get outdoors to enjoy fresh air, sunshine and recreation."
Florida’s state parks and state trails offer many opportunities for outdoor recreation. In Florida, visitors and residents will find beaches, freshwater springs, lakes and rivers where swimming, canoeing, kayaking and fishing are very popular. Trails offer opportunities for hiking, bicycling and horseback riding. Most state parks offer playgrounds where children can burn off their energy while parents relax on a bench nearby. Many parks also offer picnicking facilities with tables, barbecue grills and shelter.
You're invited to join in on a number of events taking place this month at a Florida state park near you.
- Every Friday-Tuesday, all month – Turtle Walks at Sebastian Inlet State Park, Melbourne Beach, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- June 7 – Beach Bash at Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- June 12 – Full Moon Beach Stroll at Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area, Flagler Beach, 7:15 p.m.
- June 13 & 27 – Sunset Cruise at Crystal River Preserve State Park, Crystal River, 7:15 p.m.
- June 20 – Stargazing by the Shore at Henderson Beach State Park, Destin, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- June 21 – Geocache Bash at Pumpkin Hill Creek Preserve State Park, Jacksonville, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For a complete list of events happening in June, click here.
Whether you prefer hiking, fishing, canoeing or picnicking, Florida's state parks are the perfect place to explore Florida's great outdoors. To plan an adventure at a state park this month visit Florida State Parks or download the mobile app.