Employer News | June 2013

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Find us on Facebook Find us on Twitter
Right-click here to download pictures…
In This Issue

Upcoming Retirement Plan Seminars


Audit Section

Financial Education and Advice Services
(800) 232-0859

Member Services Counseling Services
(907) 465-4460

Member Services Contact Center
(907) 465-4460

(877) 517-6370

Contact the editor with feedback. Archives are available. 

Online Services


Payroll Processing

Spring fishing
yellow graphic line

June, 2013 |  Volume #96

FY14 Annual PERS/TRS Employer Contribution Rate Notice

This is the official Employer Contribution Rate Notice, only available electronically - you will not be sent a hardcopy

A.   FY 2014 Employer Contribution Rates:

  1. Defined Benefit (DB) – PERS Tier I / II / III & TRS Tier I / II
  2. Defined Contribution (DCR) – PERS Tier IV & TRS Tier III
  3. Allocation of Pension and Other Post-employment Healthcare Benefits (OPEB)
  4. PERS Past Service Cost rate

B.    Annual actuarial valuation and plan financial statements:

  1. PERS valuations
  2. PERS financials
  3. TRS valuations
  4. TRS financials

 Download Employer Contribution Rate Notice [PDF]

Getting a Social Security Card or Social Security Number Printout

Whether your clients need a Social Security card or a Social Security number printout, they must show us documents to prove their:

  • Identity
  • Age
  • U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status

Before sending clients to a Social Security office, please direct them to SocialSecurity.gov. There, your clients will find a list of documents they must bring to our office.

Social Security card

Your clients also may want to take a look at the specific online fact sheets and publications that address the requirements for getting a printout or card. Also available at SocialSecurity.gov, they include:

  • U.S. Citizen/Adult — Social Security Card And Number Printout (SSA Publication No. 05-10512)
  • U.S. Citizen/Child — Social Security Card And Number Printout (SSA Publication No. 05-10514)
  • Non-U.S. Citizen/Adult — Social Security Card And Number Printout (SSA Publication No. 05-10515)

Employers and third parties can find out how to verify Social Security numbers at SocialSecurity.gov/employer.

Employer On-Behalf Funding

Fiscal Year 2013

The Division of Retirement and Benefits will apply Fiscal Year 2013 PERS and TRS employer on-behalf funding, provided in House Bill (HB) 284 [PDF] (Operating Budget - Section 27), to payrolls received in our office by July 15, 2013. Fiscal year 2013 covers payrolls containing payroll end dates from July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013.

After the July 15, 2013 cutoff has been reached and all applicable payrolls have been processed, the Division will complete the annual on-behalf funding true-up. We anticipate sending employer on-behalf year-end statements to include the true-up by early August, 2013 via email.

Fiscal Year 2014

On-behalf funding for PERS employers for Fiscal Year 2014 (FY14) is provided by House Bill (HB) 65 [PDF] (Operating Budget - Section 29), passed during the 2013 legislative session and recently signed into law. The bill provides a set amount of funding to reduce the PERS Employer Effective Rate to 22 percent and the TRS Employer Effective Rate to 12.56 percent for FY14. 

For PERS and TRS employer on-behalf funding provided in HB 65, the Division of Retirement and Benefits will apply payments for payrolls through pay period end date June 30, 2014. Fiscal year 2014 (July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014) payrolls must be received in our office by July 15, 2014, to be processed with HB 65 employer on-behalf funding.

This funding is applied with the processing of each employer payroll. Employer on-behalf funding statements will be sent via email to payroll or finance contacts.

On-Behalf Funding Contacts

On-behalf funding questions or statement copies:

All other questions:

Alternate Option

Frequently Asked Questions from Employers to the Division

When do school district PERS members enroll in the Alternate Option? Are elections to participate retroactive?

It is extremely important to submit a change form for the Alternate Option when an employee is eligible. Employees are eligible to change their election only from July 1 through September 30 of each year. If they do not change their election (if eligible) during this time period, they will need to wait until the following year. See the definitions below to ensure your employees are correctly enrolled in the Alternate Option:


New Hire

Someone who was not working for a school district on July 1, 1999, or someone who first became a member on or after July 1, 1999, may, within 90 days of date of hire, make an election. AS 39.35.300 (c) and AS 39.35.310 (c).


Someone who was working for a school district, who was inactive on July 1, 1999, and later reemployed, may, within 90 days of date of hire, make an election. AS 39.35.300 (c) and AS 39.35.310 (c).

Change in Status

You may make an election during the period July 1 through September 30 if your position went from working 12 months to less than 12 months. AS 39.35.300(e) and AS 39.35.310 (e). You may make an election during the period July 1 through September 30 if your position went from working less than 12 months to 12 months. AS 39.35.300 (d) and AS 39.35.310 (d).

An election to enroll in the Alternate Option made between July 1 and September 30 is effective July 1 of the current school year. It cannot be made retroactive to a prior school year even if the employee’s status changed before the current school year.

Verifying PERS Service for Non-Certificated Employees Electing the Alternate Option

Effective with the school year beginning July 1, 1999, non-certificated employees of a school district who work less than 12 months in a full or part time position can elect to have their PERS service credit calculated under the TRS (AS 14.25.220 (47)) definition of "year of service."

A full year of membership credit is earned if the member works at least 172 school days between July 1 of one year and June 30 of the next year. If a member works six hours or more per day, the service is considered full-time.

Part-time eligibility to participate in the PERS is determined using PERS statutes. The member must be regularly scheduled to work a minimum of 15 hours per week. Part-time service under the alternate option is prorated against a six hour day, the PERS full-time equivalent.

For further information, please contact the Regional Counselor for your area.

Reminder: Please Use Most Recent Forms

DRB Forms and Brochures

Please remember the Division of Retirement & Benefits and Great-West Retirement Services are periodically changing forms.  In order to ensure your employees have completed the proper form it is very important you, as the employer, have the most current forms.  The most common incorrect or outdated forms the division receives are the Defined Contribution Retirement Distribution forms and the Defined Benefits Refund Election Form (gen008) [PDF].